how long after giving birth does your milk stop producing if you didn't breastfeed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• why didnt you breastfeed? Its the best thing you can give to your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• why does that matter you didn't answer the question
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I didn't breastfeed either of my kids. It takes a couple days and your boobs will get really hard and a bit painful but then it will all go away. Take Aleve for the discomfort or put a bag of frozen peas on your chest.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Well I breastfed both of my kids because once I did the research on formula I decided there was no freaken way my kids were drinking that crap but after my daughter weaned it took a couple of weeks.

My friend didn't breastfeed and it took 4 months. I guess it depends on the person but I know if you wear tight bras that it's supposed to help with the milk not coming in so much. I've also heard that cabbage leaves will help dry it up.

Just remember that no matter what you choose your body plans on breastfeeding because that's the biological norm so if you don't do anything to dry up the milk you WILL be engorged, you WILL be in pain and you could get a very serious infection.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• try cold packs if your breasts get uncomfortable.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• everybody is different hun, breast milk or formula milk r just as good as one another if their was crap in formula milk like another post has put they wouldnt sell it and my kids are perfectly fine and healthy with formula milk , i was how ever going to try and breast feed using a breast pump with this baby but he has got a cleft lip and palate so he will struggle to suck , but i could only breast feed using a pump i think your breasts get sore enough let alone a baby sucking away for feeds lol xx
    happymam2b

Answer by happymam2b at 6:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Ignore the anons. I don't know how long. What I used when I stopped BF'ing was cabbage leaves, and you have to change them often. I know it sounds weird but it works and it felt so good. Try not to let warm water on your breast for too long because they will just produce more milk. I think it took 2 days.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• within a few days my breasts with my middle son were engorged and a bit painful. i gave him up for adoption so breastfeeding was out of the question. it did lots and lots of advil and cold compressed. i never tried the cabbage leaves but i had heard about them.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• wow to the first anonymous responder. you dont even know if her baby was born, born alive, given up for adoption etc. way to attack a mom there.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 7:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• What sati769leigh said!!! Jeepers creepers! I only bfed my kids for about 2 months...and that was only at nap and bed times. 4 years later, I'm still lactating a tiny bit! I would have made a great wet nurse!
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 7:56 AM on Feb. 1, 2010