Went on a first date not sure I should go out again..What do you think?

I talked with this guy on the phone a couple of times. I would start the conversation by asking him questions, he'd answer them and that would be it. So it was exhausting to constantly be the one talking and having to come up with stuff to say. We went out once and it was the same thing. I'd start the conversation and he'd end it. At one point I couldn't think of something to say so, I took a drink hoping he'd start the conversation. Nope, he took a drink at the same time so we ended up staring at each other. I found myself a little bored and ho hum at the end of the date. Found out he had a great time and wanted to know when we could see each other again. I asked him if he was really nervous or shy, he said he was nervous. So should I give him another chance even though I really don't want to? I barely have free time since I'm a single mom. I'm not sure I want to waste that. Which is what I'm already feeling I'd be doing

aidansmom111804

Asked by aidansmom111804 at 12:26 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Do you like anything about him when he does answer questions? If not, pass on this one. If yes, maybe it is nerves and give it one last shot.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• well he was a little funny in our conversations...i just hate those uncomfortable silences...
    aidansmom111804

Answer by aidansmom111804 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Not a good thing when you are asking the questions. Red flag!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I'd vote no. If someone's interested, they'd have at least questions to ask of me. Sounds like a red flag and as a single mom, I agree, I don't have time to waste.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 12:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yes, the pauses are awful and I don't blame you. Was this a setup? Is there a date you could share where you're both "doing" something like cooking together or watching a game or play or I don't know, bowling? Lol. That way the pauses wouldn't be so punctuated because you could also busy yourself at the same time.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• No this wasn't a set up. I met him on one of those online dating places. We sent emails back and forth every now and then for a couple of months. Then I finally said would you like to talk on the phone sometime? He said yes so I guess I've been initiating everything even the first conversation. He wanted to go to the art walk so if I didn't have anything to say I could just stare at paintings but I'd much rather do something else by myself or with my friends...
    aidansmom111804

Answer by aidansmom111804 at 12:43 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i think u shouldn... because he was shy i. and i do EVERYguy should get a second chance( including MARRige)
    twoloves

Answer by twoloves at 12:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I'd say nawww..he sounds boring and possibly self absorbed if he isn't asking you questions, showing interest or trying to make you laugh..I WOULD say that, if it weren't for what a moron I act like on a first date..or even first conversations, I get nervous and tongue tied and laugh innapropraitely or am super quiet just letting the guy lead the conversation...but after you know me I'm a cut up and I have a lot to give...hmmm....what to do...that's a toughee...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• he said he wasn't shy though..he just said he was nervous..we were there for 3 hours..he should have loosened up after a little bit I would have thought.
    aidansmom111804

Answer by aidansmom111804 at 1:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Maybe he would be more comfortable in a group date setting some people get clammed up when nervous, and it takes a while, maybe give him a chance and try for a more active date setting.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2010