Any mother who has breastfed for 6 months +...I have a question.

OK this is my second baby. I nursed my first child for 2 years and during that time I didn't have any spotting or bleeding of any kind until she was 14 months old when I had my first post partum period.

I'm currently nursing my 7 month old and I have had some spotting and bleeding pretty much since I gave birth. At first it was once a month, then every couple of weeks and now it's 2-3 days a week, every single week. By spotting I mean I go to the bathroom, wipe and there is blood. I have to wipe 3-4 times before it's all gone but by the time I go to the bathroom next it's back. Yesterday I actually had a saturated spot on my panties. That's the 1st time it's reached my panties.

It's usually light red or pink and progresses to brown by the days end. It is often mucusy. I thought I might be PG but 3 BFN so no.

Is this normal while BF? Could it be something else? Should I contact the doctor for furthure investigation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know it was around 8 months whne mine came back. I dont remember if i spotted so much but i probly did.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I only breastfed for a year, I haven't had a period in almost 4 years though (depo shot, then pregnancy, then breastfeeding then prego again lol) but do not think that is normal...i would get check out just in case
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Are you on any form of birth control? Ive been on the mini-pill since my daughter was 6 weeks (shes 6.5 months now) and i spotted for pretty much the whole first month. I got an actual period for the first time when she was about 5 months, and another at about 6 months. I would call your dr and at least let him/her know what is going on and if they think it is a concern.
    Allie_kat1

Answer by Allie_kat1 at 1:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Honestly, I would talk to your Dr about this. I nursed both my kids, and I got pg with our dd when our ds was 6 mos old, and I didn't get my period back before I got pg - apparently I got pg when I was getting ready to start...

I nursed him all through my pg with our dd, and I was willing to tandem nurse, but he weaned himself when he was 15 mos old (the month she was born, I think my milk changed then for the new baby and he didn't like the taste, but I don't know if that was it for sure, he just didn't want to do it anymore, and I didn't push it.) I also did extended nursing with our dd, and started my period after her when she was about a yr. At that point my dh had a vasectomy, so I wasn't taking any bc pills or anything.

I didn't have any bleeding like that though - I would talk to your Dr about it.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:05 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• No I'm not on any form of hormonal birth control.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• if you are not on birth control then I would talk to the doc. it is not normal to have spotting like that. A period yes, but not spotting like you have described. I nursed my first to 18 months and my second is still going at 31 months and I didn't get anything after the first 6 weeks until they were both about 15 months old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• if you have been "spotting" from the get go, this doesn't sound like your period. i would see your dr. it could be something else.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• This is NOT normal. See a doc.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2010