Should the government tell people that they can't have other things if they want food stamps and assistance?

I mean, like have internet, cable, go on shopping sprees? Should they have to be accountable where their money goes?
Also, do you think that there should be a repayment system in place? Like if you get food stamps, you have to pay 10% of your check back to the state after you get a job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

•  Oh Christ, here we go again. WHEN you walk in their shoes, THEN when YOU give up all the Luxuries like Cable and God forbid SHRIMP and MEAT once in a while, THEN you can talk b/c only then will you know what the fuck you are talking about! Ignorance aggravates me more than stupidity.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Im on food stamps and thats it. I think that people that get cash asistance should have their monies montiored...My husband and I were working both full time and still couldnt afford grocerices but I know some people that dont work and get all the help from the state and refuse to go out there and work...and when they get money they blow it on like beer and crap...I hate that. We are a working family in need of help like that and we cant get it....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I think they shouldn't be able to go out and buy a plasma screen and stuff like that, bit other than that no. I don't think that repayment is fair either, but I think you should have to get a job within 5 years.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 1:43 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I don't think it should be a life long thing to recieve assistance of any kind. (execept for those on disability or SS) The entitlement train needs to come to a stop. And sorry if you can afford a big screen TV you can afford to pay for your own damn food!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:46 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with repayment.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:48 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I just think they should monitor where the money's going.. I'm on cash assistance and I've only been paying gas and my son's things.. but I see other people pay shit they don't really need. [really who needs beer so bad they're willing to spend the whole thing on beer when you received for a reason.]
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 1:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• welp the government is not your father to be telling you how to spend what money you have. There can be many reasons why someone might have something nice while on welfare, from getting gifts to saving up over a long period of time, getting money back on taxes etc. its that person's money. not yours, mine of the governments. I have to say that now-a-days having internet can be far cheaper than most other monthly bills. and can help you saving money and better yourself. not to mention your kids needing it these days for school.
    MOST people on foodstamps already did pay a percentage in to welfare. you want to make them pay again? if you make people have a repayment system you are further creating discouragement to get OFF food stamps and welfare.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• another thought here.
    I am on disability. medicaid, medicare, medicare assistance for part D, and very limited food stamps. I support 3 people including myself on a fixed income. I have NO choice but to be on the medical programs. without them i would be dead or in a long term care facility. Thanks to frugal habits, and SUPER couponing, I have a rather nice large flat screen television. I earned that last year with my own hard work on the days that I am able to do the couponing i so love. which has been pretty often in the last 2 years. I dont see that i do not deserve that perk just because I am on welfare benefits.

some people can be on welfare and eventually get themselves something nice.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Sati...why? Why can some people be on welfare and get something nice? If you have money to buy something nice, don't you have money to pay your bills?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• like have internet, cable, go on shopping sprees?
    Internet ...possibly. Lots of kids and parents who are in school need the internet for projects. Cable? NO! shopping sprees? well, if they win it then it's theirs.

Should they have to be accountable where their money goes?
    In california it is monitored. Everything is on an EBT card and they know exactly what you're spending your money on. Needles to say, if you are buying too much alcohol with your cash aid they will cut you off.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2010