my brother in law send me a hateful email

I bought myself a new puppy for an early BD present, and then sent an email to my mil, fil, bil, and sil with a pic of the puppy...and then the next morning got a hateful email from my bil saying that it was too expensive etc. and to stop sending him stupid emails.
He also send a copy of the email that he sent to me, to his mom, dad and wife...so I am just stunned and hurt.
My MIL called me and was totally on my side saying that she has no idea why he would be so mad about us buying a puppy...but, I know that when push comes to shove she isn't gonna do anything to call him out on it, because they just had a baby and she isn't gonna jeprodize being able to see the new baby...

Hubby said that we just won't have anything to do with them and just be civil on holidays but I don't even want to see him then...should I just wait it out and see how I feel when it gets closer to easter?
gee, this whole thing makes no sense to me.

ilovedogs1967

Asked by ilovedogs1967 at 1:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It sounds like he's jealous, and maybe stressed from the new baby. Whatever the reason, he was being a jerk. I would do what your dh suggested, just try to let it go and be the bigger person (I know that's hard to do sometimes).

He was being a jerk, and either you want to just basically be civil for the sake of everyone else in the family (not to mention for his wife and the new baby, so you can still hopefully have a relationship with them), or he already knows he was being a jerk, and is sorry and embarrassed - or will be when he has a chance to get over whatever crawled up his butt. If that's the case, you don't want to escalate things and make it harder for him to make amends.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:09 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Your hubby needs to man up and have a few words with his brother!! Come on your family, not strangers. He should be able to talk to him about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Oh, and I don't mean this mean, but I hope you didn't put anything in your email about how much you paid for the dog or anything, because that could be taken bad, like you were bragging. There's a chance that they could be having money problems (or he's afraid they will - whether because of the economy or just from the stress of having a new baby) - and he got upset and was thinking something like "here they spent XXX on a DOG - and I'm not sure how I'm going to pay the mortgage next month..." and he snapped.

This would be hard, and you're the only one who knows if he's normally a jerk or not, but if not, then maybe you could talk to him - not email - and say you're sorry your email upset him so much, you didn't mean it that way, you were just excited about the puppy and wanted to share it with them. Then, if that goes well, maybe ask if everything is ok and see what's up. Or, even better, say this to his wife and see...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I agree you Dh needs to give him a call his behavior was not ok and letting it go is excusing the bad behavior, I have a kid and am pregnant doesn't mean that I can take my stressors out on others unfairly.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• He was bothered over a puppy. Is he scared the puppy will get more attention than the new grandchild?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2010