Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok, I screwed up, how do I fix my taxes?

I didn't file last year because I didn't have the money to pay someone, and couldn't figure it out on my own. Lame excuse, but its true. I had my own business that I had to shut down at the end of 2008. I know I have that earned income credit, (2 kids and I made under $20K for the year) and I had to take money out of my 401K to get by in 2008 (so I have to claim that too).

I haven't heard anything from the IRS from not filing in 2008, but I do plan on doing my taxes this year. Do you think I need to file for 2008, will I get money back from that year? I will probably get money back from 2009 year as well. I am just confused about the 2008 year. Any advice would be great!! Thanks. :)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (7)
  • file your 2008 and 2009 and yes you will get your refund. I had a house fire at tax time a few years ago and had e-fied the same night as our fire so i thought our taxes had gone through come to find out they hadnt and it took me some time to get all the paperwork in order since everything had been lost. I filed two years of taxes at once, There was no penalty since i had a refund coming and the IRS never contacted us about not filing. I am sure if we had waited longer it would have triggered a letter but if you take care of it right now then there should be no problems.

    Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:19 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • By all means, file for 2008 as well. If they owe you money you wont get in trouble for filing late. If you owe them you will have interest to pay on the amount but you can work out a payment plan if you cant afford to pay the whole thing. My husband didnt file for 5 years before we were together & we worked it out with IRS.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • You should get money back from both years and the IRS is not gonna bother you until they see that you did file this year. Oh an by the way turbo tax is FREE andit's really easy to use.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • Yes, you need to file for 2008's tax year. If you are owed money you will recieve that money. Use turbo tax for this years, it is simple and cheap to use.

    Answer by ronjwake at 2:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • Turbo tax is free only for a 1040EZ, whiich is not what you can use since you are claiming EIC. The fee is $30.

    Answer by ronjwake at 2:23 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • OP-Thanks for the advice!! I will definitely file for both years! 2008 may cost me, but for this year, hopefully it will be cheap, and I get a big refund!! :) Thanks again.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • Just remember this - it's not illegal to not pay your taxes. It is illegal to not file your taxes. If you file, you can work out plans to pay later. If you don't file, well, the IRS loves that if you owe them. If they owe you, they really don't say much.

    Answer by jesse123456 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.