How to give children the sex education?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Depends on the age of the children. I strongly believe they should have sex ed in 6th grade and continue with it until after graduation. But parents should also open the doors of communication with their children and have the birds and bees talk with them. With the internet ANYTHING can be found and discussed.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Buy the book Our Bodies OurSelves -I think now there are versions specifically for boys of different ages for sex ed. One version might actually be called My Body Myself.

When I've had sex talks with my kids, really my son was the most embarrassed. My other two kids are girls. WIth my son even now as adult as he is, I've said I have something to say and we can have a conversation if he wants face to face or I can say what I have to say to his hair or back whatever but it will be said.

I've just told him over the years til a few years ago and my daugthers two that p and vajayjay equal baby. If sex then be prepared to raise up a child. Because, some women get periods early in pregnancy and some do through pregnancy. And some women do not get periods through pregnancy. I've also said to keep condoms and spermcidal gel nearby for those hard to avoid times - it can be extra protection to the pill.

Just say what ya gota say.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I think that you need to address certain aspects throughout their lives, starting with proper terms when they are 3 and four and the facts about being touched in certain areas being bad, and you really go from their, it should be a life long teaching with them so that they can ask questions and you give answers, and more information as needed due to their questions, but I think that they need to know a lot more earlier because sexual activity is so much sooner, if they are prepared early they will be able to handle it on their own much easier.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:16 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• This is not a talk. This is a series of conversations that starts practically at birth, by teaching children the proper names of body parts and their functions. It continues throughout their lives; always be on the lookout for teachable moments: watch TV with them, discuss a pregnant friend or relative, etc.

Start by asking what they know and what they want to know. I second the recommendation for Our Bodies, Ourselves; I have both the original and an updated version.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• It was easy for us. We began talking about it with them when they were little, and as they grew up, we just talked a little more in detail. It was pretty much just honestly answering their questions as we went along. They were all virgins when they married, by the way, at the ages of 24, 28, and 31.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Sex education is a lifelong process that should cover a WIDE array of topics, including:

-anatomy
    -puberty
    -the mechanics of sex
    -pregnancy
    -STDs
    -Contraceptives, how to use them, where to get them, and how much they cost
    -Information on where your teens can go (ex. Planned Parenthood) for pregnancy or STD testing, contraceptives, and pelvic exams
    -the components of healthy relationships
    -What is "love" and when does it happen
    -Love in context of a relationship; sex in context of a relationship
    -Where and how to obtain Plan B
    -Abortion (both pill and clinical)

There is so much that needs to be DISCUSSED...I wish my parents had been so open about these topics with me when I was growing up.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• (continued)

The thing is (and I'm not bashing anyone here or trying to start a fight) that not everybody is interesting in waiting for marriage. I think that advising your kids to be abstinent and then avoiding the rest of the 'sex talk" is a cop-out, and also a loss for your kids. It's important to discuss sex and contraceptives (where to buy them, how to use them) with your kids, regardless of what your ideas of "when" is appropriate.

It is equally important to discuss relationships, what makes a good relationship, how to build a better relationships, etc. It's important to discuss being able to feel safe with one's partner and feeling valued and respected. Personally, I think discussing "sex with context" is a better tactic than "sex only within marriage"...my man and I did not wait until marriage, but that does not make our relationship inferior in any way.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 6:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I am going away to a hotel with my 13 yr old daughter this weekend and we are doing the CD and workbook to Passport to Purity. after the days worth of talking you do a celbratory dinner.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• First, ask them what they know about it. Then go from there. Explain to them that it's important you know they're educated on the matter, even if it is an uncomfortable conversation to have. Elborate on what they know and explain about the things they don't know. Let them ask questions. Be honest with them about your experiences to. I'm not saying tell them of every romp in the hay, but let them know honestly when you first had sex, whether it was with a boyfriend or not, etc. Being honest and open with your child is important to creating a strong bond with them. If they feel they can trust you to be honest with them, they're more likely to open up to you about the serious subjects.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2010