Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

why wont the dryer dry?

its hot, it spins, but it wont dry. i am not sure what it can be. there is almsot nothing in the filter either and i have to dry multiple times before its dry enough to fold. suggestions?


Asked by eliptica24 at 3:22 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 4 (52 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Try these things:
    1. Make sure the lint trap on the dryer is clean. You may even take a vacuum hose and try to vacuum out excess lint; or purchase one of those long vent cleaner things and clean it out.
    2. Check behind the dryer where the exhaust is (the silver or white long coil thing) to make sure there isn't any lint in there.
    3. Go outside to your vent on the outside of the house. Make sure nothing is clogging it. Sometimes birds like to nest in there.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • The fan might not be working that is what blows the hot air around they can get clogged with lint too.

    Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • has it always been a problem? How long is the dryer hose that goes out the dryer vent? If the metal hose is too long, it will take FOREVER to dry. I'd check that first. If you have a lot of slack, I'd cut some off!

    Answer by lbdm2002 at 3:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • that silver pipish thing? heh pretty long and curls up on itself. is that what ur talkin about?

    Answer by eliptica24 at 3:57 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • Did you vacuum out the hose? This should be done once a year.

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • If it's getting hot, the vent is probably clogged somewhere. If the air can't escape it's not going to dry. Vacuum out the exhaust hose and where the filter is.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

  • Every now and then my dryer does that and I have to take my vacumm and suck out the dryer hose. Also, the area conected to the outside. That should be checked because it's a fire hazard.

    Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2010