Adoption of Haiti children?

I realize people want to help regarding the children of Haiti. What I don't understand is why people don't want to adopt children from another country. There are so many orphans in the US, why not adopt them first?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 3:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There was a discussion on this a few days ago it could get nasty. I think that we should only adopt in our country because there are so many kids that need it here. I think adopting out of the country only adds to our country's problems.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:56 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I agree with you true, once all the children here are adopted THEN out of contry adoptions should take place.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:57 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yep I think that this would help our economy and crime rates etc.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Could it be that even the worst off children in the US still have it way better then the kids in Haiti? We are talking about orphaned children as opposed to parent surrender, right?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yes but those kids grow up in an underfunded system and turn into chronic offenders committing crimes, if they were adopted and taken care of we would have a better country, and not all kids here are parent surrender. We need to take care of our problems before taking care of the problems in other nations.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:07 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• There are children here in the US that need a family, why are these children overlooked? I imagine that our society would greatly benifit from adopting here in the US before going outside of the country to adopt. That being said, does the American children need to just suck it up and wait since they are not the worst off??
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I'm not disputing the fact that our current foster care system needs work. But can you really compare orphans in Haiti to foster kids? Really?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Because in america it has been made in to a huge fantastik money game with much harsher and stronger rules and guidelines as to who CAN and CANNOT adopt here. yet people who should never be breeding are allowed to keep having them willy nilly. anyone see an issue there?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Of course there are people who SHOULD NEVER breed but what are you going to do. Foster children get beaten, starved and abused in SOOOO many ways. Yes they should be taken out of that environment first to save their lives and to save their mental state as well. Orphans in other countries can grow up in the same way but should we tell the kids here "oh sorry you sleep in a dog crate, there are orphans that need a home more." Hmmmmm NO.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:34 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• From what I read Haiti was also harsh on who could adopt there. Marriage of 10 years, you must be 35, etc. It is simply another money making scandal there as well. (or it was before) I have seen so many people simply want to adopt a foreign child because it is the cool thing to do to adopt a child of a certain ethnic or place. That is what really amazes me.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:35 AM on Feb. 1, 2010