Should those that get $10k tax refunds lose food stamps?

Another question made me think. If someone gets this amount in taxes back why in the hell are they getting food stamps? Shouldn't the gov't be linked to ensure that those that get that amount get kicked off programs such as food stamps? And in order to get them back later on they should show PROOF of how that was spend. If you get $10k in a refund why not buy your own food??

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 4:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes! If someone gets that much back then they should be made to see some kind of financial advisor to place the money in savings accounts, etc instead of blowing on crap like big screen TVs, and Coach Bags, if you cannot afford that stuff before a tax return you do not need if you get a large return. But yes they should loose their food stamps!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I can see this both ways, some people need that money to get a car to get a job and place to live etc and the food stamps are still needed, but there are the ones that will take it and buy stupid crap and not buy their own food which shouldn't be able to. It is a hard line to walk at times.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I agree it is a fine line. I have seen people get their refund and spend it in two days on things they simply don't need. There is nothing wrong with spending a certain amount of goodies for yourself or family, but when 100% of it is spent on things that are not needed, it makes me scratch my head.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• how about you go learn how taxes work. and why some families get 10 grand back in tax returns. then come back here to talk about it?

sheesh.

sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:33 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• OMG, are you here just to pick on her? Try giving a real answer instead of being snarky.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Most people who get a tax refund who are on welfare have a limited time period to hold on to that money. period. welfare has asset limits and usually a families car eats in to that right off the top. leaving little room to put anything away in the bank. if they keep the money and thus LOSE ALL BENEFITs, they can end up worse than before. IE say they have a sick child or family member who NEED medicaid? that 10 grand isnt gonna last long with medical bills if medicaid is paying nothing anymore. You go over your asset limit by even 50 cents, a dollar and you LOSE EVERYTHING. which i think is WRONG.

if people were allowed to save money to a better extent to prepare for getting OFF welfare it would be so much better. but our current system PUNISHES people who do try to get ahead. it ENCOURAGES them to spend that tax return WILLY NILLY on things they DONT NEED.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I am very very serious. I wish people would get educated on this stuff. It is realy easy to sit in judgement and make commentary about how you think things should be. First you should learn how things REALLY are.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I worked in the tax field for 4 years, I do know how it works. There are MANY folks that pay a lot less then what they get in a refund.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• and truealaskanmom so its ok for her and others to continue to pick on people on welfare? but its not ok for someone to point out that they educated on the topic THEN come back and discuss it? pot meet kettle
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• The question did not mention medicaid, it only mentioned food stamps. I would say it is very safe to say that more people spend them hefty returns without thinking once, humm, how much food could I have bought instead of a $1000 TV...
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:41 AM on Feb. 1, 2010