I have a terrible earache and I can't sleep. Has anyone all of a sudden got one, and is there anything I can take at home for it?

It literally just came up all at once. No symptoms, nothing. One day I was fine, the next day my ear was hurting, and is progressively getting worse to the point where I can't sleep. It's swollen with a lot of fluid retention, and I can't hear out of it much. It's Past 4 a.m here, and I have a toddler to wake up to tomorrow and DH will be at work. I need to sleep!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Health

• apple cider vinegar
    onion juice
    warm olive oil
    hot compresses

Answer by rkoloms at 5:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I think you have to go to yor Dr. or the ER. My 4 yr old woke -up with one on last Thursday at 2am.I made an appointment for her and she has an ear infection and she has lost hearing in that ear due to fluid build up.Happened just like that.' No symptoms before that night.She is on an antibiotic and will resume hearing in that ear affected .But the Dr. said it may take about up to 5 days..'' So I wouldn't fool around if it's all swollen and you said there's some sort of fluid? That doesn't sound good.' Good luck, hot compressions till you get to the Dr.And maybe some tylenol or motrin..~ Get better soon.'
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 7:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Things that help or my kids when we get ear aches...

Drop peroxide in your ear
    Garlic ear drops (you can get them at whole foods or other health food stores)
    Warm olive oil in the ear
    Use ear candles (something else you can find at the health food stores)
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2010