English question

It's February now and when someone says "next March" do they mean March of 2010 or March of 2011? My first impression is 2011 because if it's 2010 it should be 'this coming March' , right? JMO

wanita61

Asked by wanita61 at 5:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It depends on who it is sometimes people don't mean to say it the way they do. I usually say this march for the upcoming and next for the following year but my DH confuses stuff like that a lot I think it is because his days are messed up working at night on the weekends
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:50 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I also say this march, but have heard people say next march for example.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I would agree that it sounds better to say this coming up March or this March to refer to this year. Next March sounds like a distant future.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 8:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Hahaha. My mom and grandma who always vacation together would get into fights all the time because of just this. When my mom is driving and they are getting close to where they need to take an exit my grandma will say, it's the next exit (or street or whatever) and my mom says this exit, street, etc., so when my grandma is navigating they usually end up having to turn around. LOL I also say this for the one coming up and next for the one after.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i would take that as the coming month.... like the next march will be the next month in 2010
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• This is exactly why we should ask THEM which March they mean. It could mean either one.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• next March would be the March of 2011. Next implies after or the following. This March or March would be sufficient.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2010