my 2 year old is jumping out of his crib

and its becoming a bit too much it is affecting his naps we spend a good hour just going back n forth trying to get him in n he comes back out, his naptimes is when i try to get things i need done n now its spent trying to get him to nap, bedtime forget it he won't sleep in there now, i put him in n same thing we soend some time back n forth cause he jumps out, i finally gave in n brought him to my bed, but i dont wanna do this either, this is my first child so this is new to me. any suggestions how to get him to stay in his room to sleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do the silent return! No matter how much he fusses, argues, pouts, cries, jumps out...Bring him back to the crib, leaving the lights off. ONLY say goodnight as you leave the room.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 7:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i would suggest you transition him to his own big boy bed! That way, when he jumps it wont be as far as a fall. when my son gets out of bed and starts to complain, and everything is fine (dry diaper, just had some water, a story was read....etc) I just take him by the hand and tell him night night. It isnt like this every night but ooooh we have those nights. It takes many tried but eventually he falls asleep in his bed.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:02 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• time for a toddler bed honey! dont wait like i did. my son almost bashed his brains in one time getting out of his crib and having his night clothes catch when he went to jump. so yeah. time for the toddler bed. he will adjust eventually.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I would go with a toddler bed. And get him to understand he has to stay in his room. Other then that you can't make him sleep. But if he has to stay in his room for an hour he may just fall asleep, and you would have that hour to get your things done. That is what I do with my girls. My youngest is curently learning how to sleep when not in the crib. IT takes her a lot longer to fall asleep since she has more things to do.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I agree, time for a BED instead of a crib. I'd go with a twin bed rather than a toddler bed at that age though. I know that all kids are different but my first wouldn't sleep in his toddler bed right about when he hit 2 because he wasn't comfortable in it (not enough room) Get him a bed and when he gets up, put him back. Do this until he goes to sleep. Also recognize that he MIGHT be ready to stop taking naps. It's different for all kids, my first quit taking them earlier than a lot of kids do and I have known of kids that quit taking them before 2. If he's ready to stop napping then getting him to FINALLY take one might be contributing to his not going to sleep easily at night. Good Luck with everything. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I'm having the same issue, but my DD is getting out of bed in the middle of the night when everyone is asleep. I'm afraid that she will get hurt or get into something. I'm seriously considering a crib tent. Check out the link below.

https://www.totsinmind.com/
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• time for a bed! my dh's coworkers kid broke their arm jumping out of the crib and they said it was neglect because the parent admitted it wasnt the first time the kid jumped out and they didnt get him into a bed yet. you do loose some control when the crib is gone. lots of pp go to baby gates to keep the kid in the room... my son would just hop over them. best of luck to you. that is a trying stage.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 10:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• you are lucky you made it this far!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Put the crib matress on the floor tonight so he doesn;t get hurt... we put a queen matress on the floor for our son when he was jumping out...and it made a nice place to read books together and I was able to cuddle with him in bed...he likes tons of stuffed animals with him now... he's 5( the bed was raised off the floor when he turned 4 )
    Blu-Dash

Answer by Blu-Dash at 10:34 AM on Feb. 2, 2010