I got a cat a few months ago, just a stray, for a mice we had. He did not get the mouse but I kept him anyway. He is very annoying to everyone in the house not to mention the litter box oder. He is a sweet pet, but he plays so much and pulls curtains, jumps on the counters ect. Anyway my question would it be cruel to make him an outdoor cat when he has been indoors?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Pets

• Put the cat outside.....it will be just fine. If it is still young then it will most likely stay near the house as long as you feed it. It will play and roam but it will be just fine!

mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• No, it wouldn't, if you have lots of room outside to roam without being hurt by a car.

Answer by older at 8:52 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I did. My husband got me a kitten about the time my 3rd son was born. Come to find out that my son is allergic to cats! So I put her furry but outside. She is just fine and stays around the house. I bring her inside sometimes for a petting session. lol
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 8:58 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I had to make both my cats outdoor cats, they adjusted well and I got them a small dog house with bedding in it so they have a shelter of their own outside.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yes it would!!

Cats that are used to being inside will die if left outside to find their own food and so on. Cats are domesticated animals that belong inside with their family.

If the box odor is bothering you, clean it more often, or move it to the basment, laundry room etc.
    If the shredding of curtains is bothering, try getting a scratching post so he has somewhere to exercise his claws on.

Do not put a cat outside just because you don't want to bother with it anymore. Take it to a shelter, or maybe find someone who wants a cat.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:22 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Nice lesson you "MOTHERS" are teaching your children. If I don't want to take care of something living, its fine to dump it outside. Good Lord, the future scares the shit out of me.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:41 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Why do you feel I am going to neglect the cat once outside. I will still feed him and he will still be allowed inside at times. My daughter loves him, so I want to keep him for her sake but just not in the house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• if he is doing this stuff it sounds like he is a young cat, THis is pretty normal and there are things you can do to train him. When you catch him doing things like climbing curtains spray him. As far as the counter you can try 2 sided tape or a Sccat. You can find a Scccat at most pet stores in the cat section and it sprays when the cat goes in the area that you don't want them to. I believe it is better to face the issues then ignore them and that's what you are doing if you make him an outdoor cat.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I put a cat outside because it was getting "irritating" to have him in.He disappeared for awhile then showed up with one eye shot out.Not trying to gross anybody out,but if you keep a cat out side,anything can happen to them.A lot of people keep their cats outside,but,it's unhealthy.Other cats can pick on them,people can be mean to them,they get fleas and ticks.Even though you provide them with food they'll still get into garbage,and they can get infested with worms.Much better to take him to the shelter or find someone to give him a good home.
    I have two cats that stay indoors always.Both are neutered and I keep the litter box clean.I have scratching posts for them,and toys to keep them from getting bored and wanting to attack the curtains and furniture.I'd never ever toss either one outside.
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 5:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Whats wrong with you! Dont you know they sell mouse traps?! Who goes and gets a cat for that reason! Your irresponsible- its one thing if maybe someone was allergic to the cat- but being annoyed. I pray for your child!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 6:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2010