3 year old sleep help

My 3 year old wakes up every night at 2 am, I have to lay down with her to get her back to sleep. I have tried and tried to just tuck her back in and go back to bed, last night we did this over and over for 2 hours before I gave in and climbed in bed with her. I don't know what to do, she has been doing this for a couple of months. I need suggestions please!

BusyBeesmom

Asked by BusyBeesmom at 9:03 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She has formed a habit, and it will continue until you choose to break it. There will be crying and probably other forms of protest, but to break the habit, you will have to form a plan of action and then stick to it. I would put her back in the bed once, after making sure she didn't need to go to the bathroom. I would tell her that if she gets up again, she will be spanked. Then I would follow through. The most important thing you will ever teach your child is obedience and respect for parental authority. If you continue to allow her to manipulate you at this point, it won't be long until she will find something else where she is determined to have her way over yours. The stakes will keep getting higher and higher. By the time she reaches her teens, you are going to be in big time trouble with her. The time to start teaching her that she is to obey you is right now. It will make your life easier in so many ways.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:19 AM on Feb. 1, 2010