The best thing to happen to the education system?

Education Secretary Arne Duncan called Hurricane Katrina “the best thing that happened to the education system in New Orleans” because it forced the community to take steps to improve low-performing public schools, according to excerpts from a television interview made public Friday.

Martin was quoted as saying: “What’s amazing is New Orleans was devastated because of Hurricane Katrina, but because everything was wiped out, in essence, you are building from ground zero to change the dynamics of education in that city.”

Duncan was quoted as replying: “It’s a fascinating one. I spent a lot of time in New Orleans, and this is a tough thing to say, but let me be really honest. I think the best thing that happened to the education system in New Orleans was Hurricane Katrina.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/29/AR2010012903259.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Sometimes something terrible must happen before improvement occurs.

Happy to hear something good occur from Katrina.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• that is just so freaking appalling to me
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:46 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Why is that, sati? She didn't say "The best thing to happen to the education system is the deaths of......"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Easy words coming from someone that probably didn't lose a family member in Katrina.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

after your ignorant appalling post in that other question......
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• The public school system in New Orleans still sucks. I did some work down there for a private school. I was amazed on how many huge private schools were in a city of that size. Everyone who can scrapes up enough to send their kids to private school.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I think it is spoken by someone who has no ties to anyone that was killed in Katrina. Sometimes you need to think before you speak

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Does she understand that pretty buildings and new books doesn't make a good education? It takes supportive parents and teachers that are treated like professinals (and know how to do their jobs.) This administration loves that smoke and mirror effect.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:37 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Pearl Habor was the best thing that ever happened to Japan. We went in a rebuilt them. Then they kicked our butts. Nothing new under the sun.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2010