I think my 6 year old son has strep throat...believe it or not..we have never had it. What were your childs symptoms?

And will a Dr give antibiotics for that?

My son has run a fever around 100 ...it did get up to 102.1 last night...his throat is BRIGHT red...his tummy is upset on and off. Thats it....does that sound like strep to you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Yes it does and they will give antibiotics for it. They will swab the back of his throat to see if it is strep.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 9:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• The symptoms are bright red sore throat and high fever; it sounds like your son might have it, but it could just be a virus. They will swab his throat and test for strep. If it is strep they will prescribe an antibiotic. Sometimes they will go ahead and prescribe an antibiotic before the results come in so your child can get started on it right away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I always remember my kids having a weird smell to their breath with strep. It's something I came to recognize.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i always thought strep had blisters on the throat?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My husband thought he might have it so he looked up pictures online (google images) and then I looked down his throat with a flashlight. His throat looked nothing like the ones in the pictures.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• How the throat looks is not a good way to diagnose strep. It does not always have blisters. You need to take him to the Dr. and get a strep test. I have had the Dr look in my son's throat and swear it must be strep by how it looked, only to have multiple tests come back negative. I have also had my child diagnosed with strep saying the whole time that their throat did not hurt. It can be dangerous in children if not treated.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• stomach ache sore throat and fever are a good idicator or strep...thats what our dr says
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2010