Do you know anyone who is not religious, who is also against gay marriage?

For what reasons would a nonreligious person be against gay marriage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My grandmother.
    It is un-natural and wrong according to her.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:52 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I know alot of people who are. They just think its sick.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I'm not religious and I'm not for or against gay marriage. With 1 in 2 marriages ending in divorce, I think it's absurd that anyone would "fight" to get married. The majority of couples that I personally knew that got married are now divorced and they aren't pushing for gay marriage anymore. One couple even took their case to the Supreme court to try to get out of the 50/50 split during the divorce. The Supreme court wouldn't hear the case. In the end, the state that they were married in ruled that they were legally married and they have to follow the same family law rules as heterosexual couples. Since they already allow homosexual couples to adopt, they should allow them to marry.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I know alot of people who are too. Again this is another thing that it doesnt matter your religious beliefes it is your PERSONAL beliefes. Why does everything have to be christian or non christian? Its not that black and white.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Oddly enough, I have some gay friends who don't support gay marriage. The don't want the government in their relationship.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yes, I do. First of all, being religious and against gay marriage is kind of ironic to me, considering it isn't "ok" for religious people to judge others. Second, those people I know who are against it, are against it for reasons that are all unrelated to religion. Third, those same people who are against it aren't anti-gay, aren't going to tell you to your face that you shouldn't marry and aren't judging you for your decisions. I agree, it isn't that black and white.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

two of my nephews think the same thing. One of them actually thinks it's wrong, which strikes me as odd.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:33 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I am not religious. I think the Bible is a bunch of stories. AND there is no way you can take a few lines from the Bible and interpret them to mean that Gays are sinning. ANd I don't care if they get married. They have rights to be able to live their lives too.
    BUT seeing same sex partners being affectionate makes me feel queasy. It just looks strange. ANd I would be sick if a Lesbian made a move on me. It seems odd. But I sill say it IS their life to live...marriage, adoption, IVF, whatever.

It seems though, that I do not believe in abortion unless it is to save the life of the mother. So, I am a confusing jumble of philosophies,aren't I ? LOL. All for Gays having the right to marry...because it won't hurt me at all and it won't hurt Marriage in general. ANd I am not in favor of abortion .....unless the mother would die without an abortion.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• By the way, seeing as how I am not religious, you would think I would be all for abortion but I am not. Just mentioned abortion because it looks like the Pro-life group is mainly Christian and anti-gay too. Wow...gets so complicated.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• my inlaws....just because they dont like gay people...

me-- I am religous, but I also fully support gay marriages...

If a drunk college guy can marry a hooker at 3am in a drive-thru....but a same sex couple that has been together for years, who has bought a house, who has had a child...cant...that should be wrong no matter what religon/non-religon you are...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 10:52 AM on Feb. 1, 2010