can you tan while pregnant?

im gettin married and the only way i have found to clear up my acne on my back is to tan..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i don't know for sure, but I certainly wouldn;t recommend it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Sure, you know that you are baking a baby in there, you might as well make sure it is well done.

You shouldn't tan at all! Much less when you are growing and nurturing a baby. You future husband loves you for you, and will not care about the acne on your back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• If you are expecting and are exposed to tanning beds you are exposing yourself and your unborn baby to excessive heat for a period of time. That is dangerous. You have probably heard that you should not take hot baths when you are pregnant. Laying in a tanning bed is the same thing, if not worse. This exposure to the heat of a tanning bed will raise your body's overall temperature, which is not good for your growing baby.

It can cause overheating, hyperthermia, deplete the folic acid in your body that is vital for your growing baby, and even add risk factors for your baby.
    Anonymous

• If you tan while you are pregnant you could be setting your baby up to have spinal malformation, neural tube defects, spinal bifida, and more.

While you are pregnant you are also more vulnerable to getting sunburns, which increases your chance of getting skin cancer. It can also cause your skin to get yellowish, brownish spots or pigments on your skin. You are also risking getting sun stroke from a tanning bed while you are pregnant.

No one has to use a tanning bed for any reason. Some experts say that you can use tanning beds while you are pregnant as long as it is only for short periods of time and that you drink a lot of water - a lot! You should not be in a tanning bed for more than five or ten minutes, and you should not be at the tanning salon every day! Two times a week should be your maximum while you are pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• no you cant tan while pregnant. sorry. try a nice spray on tan and makeup....and even with a spray on tan id ask my dr first.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I've heard yes and no when researching this. I know that certain tanning salons (depending on the city) will not allow pregnant women to tan period. I think the main concern if you do it is that you don't get overheated. As far as for the people that say the lights effect the baby, I have read there is no evidence that proves that. Hope that helps!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 9:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Not worth the risk!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• my ob said that as long as you stay hydrated and dont tan for longer than 30 minutes its ok
    Anonymous

• I tanned through my first preg. I would go into the stand up bed for 5 mins once or twice a week. The lay down beds would be very uncomfortable and it isn't recommended to get over heated while preg (dont over do it on the time spent in there).

Lets think about this, ladies.... what do women on island countries do while they are preg? hide out in a cave for 9 months? I don't think so.
    call your dr and do everyting in moderation.
    Anonymous

• Maybe women in island countries don't lay out baking on the beach either! And maybe the use sun screen like you are suppose to when they are outside. Tanning is bad for you skin at any time in your life. Period.
    Anonymous