10mo and eggs?

is it ok to give a 10 month old a few little bites of scrambled eggs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The general consent is no, but my kids ped said that unless there are severe allergies in the family it should be ok to give them at that age. All three of mine ate them by 10months.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:57 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• There is mixed information about this. Some people say its definitely not ok and some people say a few bites is totally fine. I know all my siblings ate eggs when we were that age. I personally dont think its a huge issue but Im not a doctor... I think you just have to use your best judgement and follow your maternal instinct.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:58 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Ask your pediatrician. Mine said recent research shows that it's okay and delaying egg doesn't decrease the risk of allergy, but conventional wisdom has always said to hold off on egg whites until after a year. As I said, my pediatrician okay'ed eggs when my son was 8 months, but you may want to check with yours to be sure.

Answer by missanc at 9:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My son's doctor said I could give him eggs--yolks only. He's 8 months old and we tried a few bites. He did great and had no side effects or reactions to them. I was nervous about it. Do what you think is best. If you are nervous, wait a while. Mama knows best!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 10:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Well I eat them often enough and he is 99% breastfed and has not had an allergic reaction through that. There are now known food allergies in our family. But my oldest does not like eggs so we don't know about him. Neither DH or I have any food allergies. I did end up giving him a few bites and holy cow he LOVES them. This is my same child that has zero interest in solids. He only wants the breast. I think I may try a small solids breakfast for him tomorrow. A little bit of regular oat meal, a scrambled egg. He doesn't really like cold thing so getting him to try juice has been a battle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I give mine scrambled egg yolk. I have been since he was 9 months old. He is 11 months now and I will wait on the whites until he is over 1 year.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I gave them to mine but you need to be comfortable giving them to your LO.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 6:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2010