How can I relieve constipation on my 3 week old?

I have given him a warm bath
rectal thermometer expelled a little

jetsss

Asked by jetsss at 10:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get infant suppositories at the pharmacy. They have them behind the counter. Also call your pediatrician. The baby made need water.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Are you breastfeeding? If not, you might want to give it a shot as breastmilk has a natural laxative in it. If you formula feed, check to see how much iron your formula contains. It might be too much for your little one. Its also possible that your baby is going through a growth spurt and just doesnt need to go as often right now. If you are really concerned, talk to your pediatrician about options.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:22 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• When my daughter was six weeks old she was constipated from me while i was ongoing nursing her, stopping drinking cow's milk. Right after that she became constipated for over two weeks. Our ped did tell me to give her the suppositories - if you get those be very very careful - they're very very soft out of the fridge, they're waxy and soft. You've got be relaxed to insert them cuz they can melt in your fingers if you fuss to long. Be sure to refrigerate the suppositories.

Our ped also suggested just a little little tiny bit of prune juice or karo syrup for her. We chose a little bit of prune juice and about three weeks after this all started she was ok again.

You can also try very gently bicycling dear baby's legs while he's on your lap face up or when he lies down. It could help to expel gas that could be building up.

Hope Baby's better soon.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2010