Who Has Had a Raging Case of Thrush Along With Their Baby and Gotten Completely Cleared Up Without Ever Stopping Breastfeeding? How'd You Do It?

My 6 week old and I have thrush. I had a c-section and was on a lot of antibiotics at the hospital. I just can't get it cleared up.

I'm on Diflucan. She's on Nystatin. I'm also taking a probiotic once daily and grapefruit seed extract capsules 3 times daily. I'm washing and sanitizing our clothing, my bras, and her burp cloths daily.

She also has a yeast infection diaper rash. I used Lotrimin on it and it was starting to clear up and now it's flaring up again.

What else should I be doing? How did you concor thrush? What was the time frame?

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 10:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor gave me a cream that I could rub on my breast before I fed my dd and then it would coat her mouth while she ate. He also had to give me a cream for her bottom since her diaper rash would not clear up. I suggest you talk with your doctor and tell them how you are not getting any better, there are other things they can give you. Good luck and make sure you are consistant with what you do!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:48 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Kellymom's thrush resources are confusing. There are too many treatments listed and so many of them conflict with one another that I don't know what's best. Some say Nystatin is great. Some say Nystatin makes thrush worse. Some say to apply grapefruit seed extract before a feeding, others say after a feeding, and some don't mention the extract at all.

That's why I'm looking for moms who has successfully cleared up thrush. I want to know what their entire regimen was. I want to get this cleared up and out of our house before she starts using teethers and putting everything in her mouth.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I have! Make sure you are getting enough diflucan (drs tend to under treat) and keep treating until 2 weeks after symptoms are gone. Check out the suggested protocols at Fluconazole

A friend of mine swaers by putting the probiotic/acidopholis powder directlly onto the nipples.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• No nystatin. Lotrimin AF on me and him. Cleared in ONE DAY.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:38 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• our doctor gave us gentian violet (in the babies mouth and on your nipples) cleared our thrush within a week
    twogirlsandmore

Answer by twogirlsandmore at 12:16 AM on Feb. 2, 2010