lice scare?

okay my niece came back from the uk with lice! now she was playing with my daughter for 30 mins. they left and called me today saying she had lice. my daughter is like me and has dandruff. so can you tell the differance between the two?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you can tell the difference between the two. dandruff will not move on its own. get a flea/lice comb and run it through her hair and see if there is anything on it. Use lots of conditioner too, they do not like the "greasy" hair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Dandruff will fall away from the hair shaft when you brush it away.

NITS ( or newly hatched eggs ) bond to the hair shaft and DO NOT come off easy.

You have to pull them down off the hair shaft. One by one. A very time consuming task.

Live lice you can pick off the hair as well, or use lice combs. The metal dog flea combs work well at getting live ones off but can miss baby lice.

Check out this article: https://health.google.com/health/ref/Head+lice

Good luck!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Oh.. a great tip is if she IS lice free.....use a SMALL amount of baby oil in her hair OR use hair mouse/gel so they cannot attach easily.

TRUE!! They HATE greasy hair and cannot attach.......they LOVE clean hair!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2010