Does love really last?

Romantic love? 6 years into my marriage I am pondering this question...

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 10:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think that love is kind of like a plant or a pet, how long it "lasts" is going to depend how you treat it. If you both really nurture that love, it's going to be pretty strong and vibrant and have periods of beautiful blooms. If you ignore and neglect it, it might survive but it's not going to be very strong. And if you neglect it and abuse it, it's going to get ugly and turn on you. My DH and I are pretty strong as a couple because we both really value our love and both strive to keep our love for each other alive and strong.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I'd say, yes. Not for everyone, but that doesn't mean it can't last for some.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Love changes as life does. If it stays the same its BORING. I've been married 18 years and we've had our ups and downs, but he is the love of my life. My parents are still honeymooning after 41 years. So the choice is up to you and hub
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:46 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Since my grandparents are about to celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary, I'd say yes.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I'd like to think so.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 10:48 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Love can last because it is a choice.

Marriage goes through different stages. It starts out in that lovey-dovey, honeymoon stage which is motivated by strong feelings for each other both emotionally and physically. As the years pass, the relationship should take on more of a deeper kind of relationship not so much motivated by feelings but by commitment & trust. Feelings come and go and are affected by many things, that's why we shouldn't live our lives by our feelings. But commitment is a consistent decision we make to each other to cling to each other, to remain with each other no matter what our feelings dictate because feelings are fickle. There's a security in honoring your vows, you grow closer and strengthen your relationship to a point where mere feelings can't come between you and cause you to want to end it just because they're not the same as yesterday.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I think so. I think that after 30 years my husband and I figured something out. Sometimes we and fully in love and other times we are in full like, but we are always respectful to each other. Mature love isn't that rush you get with new love. I think some of us are addicted to the rush of new love and that is why we don't stick it out.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I believe it.We're in our 11th year and I'm still in love with my hubby
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yes, it does last. If the two people in love are committed to each other, respect each other and realize that being in love doesn't always feel the way it does in the beginning, they can make it last. It's when people take each other for granted, stop trying, stop giving to their partner, or continue to expect that rush of "new love" feeling that problems start.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My dh and I have been married for 14 years. I have pondered this myself. I don't know exactly how we draw the line between "romantic love" and "love" but I adore my dh. I think he is hansome and all but I think what really hold us together is that it is something deeper. We have had our problems but I do think that when love is real it lasts.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 11:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2010