How can I tell if the books are on his level?

I want to buy my nephew more reading books. They have a book log for school and he's read almost all of the books he has. So I'm watching some books on eBay and can't tell if they are his level. The age rannge is from 9-12 and he's 10. Is there such a thing as a complete list of age appropriate books?

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 10:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in

• a lot of schools give lists of reccommended reading. also, some schools use scales. Here they use the Advanced Reading (AR) scale. There are others, but there is a number associated with where the child can read at. Generally they give you a window range that is best to use when picking out new books.

Have you talked to your nephew about maybe a series he likes? Or possibly his mom or dad would know. There are the Diary of a Whimy kid series books. I think most of them are around 4th and 5th grade level, but I am not sure. I know there have to be some other book series choices for boys, but my SD is 9 and the ones she likes are more girly, plus her reading level is below average to average.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Don't go by the age thing! It depends on his interests and reading abilities. Our 6 year old is reading books in the 9-12 year range and loves them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Find out what he likes. Pendragon, Gregor of the Underworld, and Septimus Heap are all great series

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2010

• I agree with the others and also consider that most kids that age like to read about kids that are older then them. My oldest daughter is 9 and her favorite books are about middle school kids (12-13 years old). That was actually something I learned when I took a children's writing class. They taught us to consider what age range our audience was and to make the main character a couple years older because kids (especially the 8-11 year range) want to read about older kids and what they do.
    It won't matter what the age range is on the books or if they are "appropriate" for him. If he's not interested in the subject he probably won't read them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:45 PM on Feb. 3, 2010

• A good guideline is the "five finger rule." If your child cannot get three paragraphs into the book without finding five words that are too hard it usually means the text is not at their level.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 3:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Not all kids who are the same age read at the same level, and school recommended reading lists don't suit all kids' tastes, so I don't go by any of those things. I go by interest. Find out what his favorite books are, what themes he likes to read about, what series he has started and wants more of and choose similar or complimentary books.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:09 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Just to clarify...by "complimentary" I mean are there companion books that go with a series he likes? For instance, my son liked the Warriors series, so the supplementary books, the manga series, or the author's newest series about bears might all be appropriate.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2010