What can I give him so he'll feel better?

My son is 3. He has been sick with a cold since Friday. He had a runny nose, cough, congestion and a fever. I gave him Motrin before he went to bed Friday and the fever hasn't been back. He has so much phlegm buildup that he's trying to cough up but he can't because he's scared of throwing up. He's now coughing so much that he is hoarse, it also keeps him up at night He's been eating and drinking fine the last few days. I've been giving him ginger ale in his sippy cup and that seems to help his throat. But is there anything I can give him to break up the phlegm to stop the cough? I just want my little boy back, I hate when he's sick!
Oh, we rub him down every night with vicks and also run a vaporizer in his room all night!

austinsmama1106

Asked by austinsmama1106 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• no dairy, lots of water, a humidifier and lots of love!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:58 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I'm not big on medicating my kids, not to mention, my SD's under the weight limit for kid's cough medicines. But I sometimes give her a half dose of Tylenol Plus Could and Cough when she's sick. Only before sleep, so the coughing doesn't keep her awake.
    Lots of water, it's a natural way to flush the system! And lots of rest!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Water to drink, water vapor in the air, and saline in the nose if it's stuffy... that's really all you can do... that's the only way to move along the progress of a cold, even in adults.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 6:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• put some vapor rub under his nose that helps him breath a lil better also bring him into bathroom and run the shower hot ( dont put him in it of corse ) but make it a steam room and have him play with some tys on the floor for say 20 ins.. that helps break it up. and as much as it stinks teach him to spit..when he coughs it up get him to spit out the phlem ( in the toilet or trash even a napkin ) i hope your lil guy feel better and u know were u can reach me if u need me. xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2010