question for my Wiccan Sisters

I work in an office with 5 people (all women) we all have our own cubical space, the problem I have is everyday (one person in perticular) talks about what happend at church and what the preacher said and how do you feel or think about that. ect.ect.ect.......I really don't care but if I wanted to hear mass, I wouldn't be a Wiccan, or I would go to church myself. the thing is she is not talking to me but I can still hear the whole conversation. how do I protect my own space from having to listen to this or at the very least make their conversations short and sweet?

northcarolinama

Asked by northcarolinama at 11:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, here's the thing. For as much as you don't want to hear this... We do have freedom of speech here. You can't really stop her from talking about what she chooses. However, if it really bothers you, I would simply tell her. Pull her aside, away from the group and explain that you are not interested in hearing what she did at church. You do not hold her beliefs and would prefer that she at least speaks a little quieter. I wouldn't ask her not to speak about her beliefs, but simply let her know your beliefs are different and you would simply like her to respect that. But, she always has the option of simply saying NO. And there isn't really to much you can do. If her talking is stopping you from doing your work, then I would bring that up, or even speak to the boss. But being that you are the minority (1 out of 5) it may be in your best interest not to do that.

You could try ear plugs too if you want! lol!

Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:09 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Earphones and an I-pod or CD player! That's what I had to do when the co-worker next to me insisted on playing her christian crap...er, music every single day. The new-age music of Yanni saved my sanity!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:23 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yeah I didn't think there was a way to stifle this, using our methods, but it couldn't hurt to ask :o) I guess I need to learn to cope, I can't wear headphones to much I need to hear people coming in and the phone. and I already tried the I'm not interested that's not my belief speech. I get "I have the right to believe what I believe" answer. I just feel I also have the right not to be forced to listen to what she believes, and to believe in what I believe. maybe I should start sharing more of my beliefs and see if she cares to listen. but I also don't want to force other people to believe what I believe. why is it most religions can't just be open minded to the fact that just cause their way may be right for them. it don't automatically make them right in others eyes.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 11:56 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Some people just don't know that work is NOT the place to talk about politics, religion, or sex.

Have you mentioned this to anyone in the office? By simply saying, "I feel pretty strongly that work is the place for work, not the place to discuss religion, politics, or sex. Can you keep that conversation in the break room?"

You don't have to reveal your faith. You don't have to reveal anything about yourself. It's just that you are trying to get work done. Period.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Focus on your work, listen to music or just deal. Its not really that big a deal. If you are so overly bothered by the talk then speak to your supervisor and explain that work isnt the place for idle chit-chat. That might do it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2010