Can the damage from this doctor ever be repaired? will parents of kids with Autism

ever believe there is no connection?

In 1998, Andrew Wakefield, a gastroenterologist at London's Royal Free Hospital, published a study in the prestigious medical journal Lancet that linked the triple Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine with autism and bowel disorders in children. The study - and Wakefield's subsequent public statements that parents should refuse the vaccines - sparked a public health panic that led vaccination rates in Britain to plunge.

Wakefield's study has since been discredited, and the MMR vaccine deemed to be safe. But now medical authorities in the U.K. have also ruled that the manner in which Wakefield carried out his research was unethical. In a ruling on Jan. 28, The General Medical Council, which registers and regulates doctors in the U.K., ruled that Wakefield acted "dishonestly and irresponsibly" during his research and with "callous disregard" for the children involved in his study

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:02 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:02 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I believe in some kids there is a correlation, but you can't ever prove causation
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

I think that anything is possible, but based on this I think it tends to disporve it more than anything else. Are there more studies that show a connection?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i believe the parents whole-heartedly who say their kids were on track with milestones. had vax's and became delayed (mercury poisioning/ any heavy metal can do it) mirrors the symptoms of autism. research is great. but you might not be able to Prove something that we just know is true..... green the vax's --- cant hurt anyone if we do...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I have to agree with AmaliaD. Mercury/heavy metal poisoning symptoms are the same as many autism symptoms. Very often you can't diagnos the poisoning. It was considered a possiblity with my child. I gave all the hair I had from his first haircut for testing and it wasn't enough hair to test..I lost it. You can do blood tests, but they only work if the poisoning was recent.

There is a correlation but it is almost impossible to separate the poisoning from true autism. The kids regardless of the cause and diagnosis still suffer and still need treatment.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• It's a tragedy that any doctor would spread misinformation in order to be a "science genius." It's totally unprofessional. Furthermore, bc his case is surrounded by media hype, his inappropriate behavior is going to stunt the release of good science in the field of vaccine safety and autism causation and correlation.

No on is even talking about this new study, done in the US, not by this doctor. http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news-1/Scientific-Link-to-Autism-Identified-61602-1/  Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to think this UK bozo is responsible for it and are discrediting it.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• No on is even talking about this new study, done in the US, not by this doctor. http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news-1/Scientific-Link-to-Autism-Identified-61602-1/ Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to think this UK bozo is responsible for it and are discrediting it.

I posted about it in the autism groups about a month ago and recieved this link in an autism newsletter I recieve. So people are talking about it some.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 12:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Sweet, there have been numerous studies done in many countries that disprove Wakefield's claims. The largest study included 50,000 children who were followed for 5-10 years. They concluded that while autism appears to be rising, both vaxxed and non-vaxxed groups developed autism at the same rate.

Still, people will continue to believe what they want to believe.

Thanks for posting this, BTW.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2010