Do you teach your baby sign language? Why orWhy Not?

What have been the benefits? What do you think is the hardest sign so far for them to grasp?

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 11:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started teaching my son signs around 12 months. He has oral issues and they told us that language would be lagging and signs would help. He has a therapist working with us to help him. She started around when he was 13 months and he just started picking up some signs around 18 months. He is taking off right now with the signs, we are up to about 8. He is 21 months. More was the easiest for him to learn. We have been working on banana and ball since the start and he still hasn't grasped those, so I would say they are a couple of the hardest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I have used sign language starting from birth with daycare kids....as long as you say the word when you use the sign. And encourage speech once they start trying to speak. Then I believe it is excellent to do with them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yes I taught the one like eat, drink, potty, and colors some animals I showed my DD more then my son cause she talked alot less. But the first words she said were the signs i showed. It helps with the tantrums when you have a way to comunicate other then speach!>
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 11:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I started teaching my youngest sign when he was around 6 months old. I picked it up when my oldest, who has autism was in preschool. He started using it back around 10 months - his first sign was "milk please" (two signs at once!). It made it easier to understand what he wanted - he would sign it before he could use words. We don't use it for everything, just the basics (more, please and thank you, milk, pancake - which he uses for all food, play, bath, ball, etc), he probably knows about 30 signs in all. He is also starting to talk, so I make sure when he signs that he's also attempting language, and I use the word with the sign to him when I use it. The last one he started using was thank you (why sign when you already have what you want?)

Answer by missanc at 11:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• my son tends to grunt or take me by the hand and lead me to what he wants..... both of these habits I'd like him to stop. He's almost 2 and since I know what he wants, and he knows I know what he wants, he does very little to communicate with me. I have taught him "more", which he does pretty good with. If he wants more milk, I ask him "what do we do for more milk" and he signs for more and says "me me me me" lol. I praise his efforts and he gets more milk. If he doesnt have a drink yet, but I know he wants milk, I try to have him sign for "milk" but he just signs "more" when I ask what he wants. I am also trying to teach him the sign for "all done" because he grunts when he's done eating or just throws it on the floor. We havent had much luck with that sign though. I think signing can be very beneficial, especially for those with speech delay.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• no.. i'd prefer to waste my time teaching my kid a second language like spanish....
    Anonymous