Can a military man live off base with his girlfriend?

I keep hearing that the answer is no, and I just want to know for sure. He wants me to follow him across the country when he is stationed to live with him, but I heard someone say that to the military I would "just" be a girlfriend. And that they won't allow him to live off base being he would be single. Is this true?

And if this is true, how can I make it possible to move, maybe thousands of miles away, just to be with him? I am barely affording what I have here, and I don't know if I can afford the move if it is all up to me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Why not get married. If you are willing to move across the country with him ( and I'm sure your child), you need to have that kind of commitment and security. If he doesn't love and respect you enough to marry you, then he certainly cannot expect you to move across the country with him.

Take some time to re-evaluate the situation before you make life-altering decision like this.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• It depends on rank.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:22 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Oh and if he's not allowed to live off base now, he wouldn't be able to if you were there, you are just a girlfriend, you aren't a spouse.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:23 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• OP here---I am asking because he is enlisting today. He hasn't even gone to basics yet, so I don't know what rank he would be. He already has some military background, and has been to basics once already, so he thinks he will be put at a higher rank to start out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yeah it does pedend on rank, he may beable to stay with you and all but will not make the extra money to pay for the rent and such.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 11:25 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• No he won't be able to live off base as far as I know. My hub was airforce and he had to live in the Dorms untill we were married. Chances are is you will have to get an apartment off base and he can "stay" with you sometimes, but he won't get BAQ or BHA
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I think you need to be at least an E-5 if you want to live off base without being married. But it's been a long time since my hub was military
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Girlfriends have no rights in military life. If I where you I would tell him either marry me or I am not going anywhere with you. I was in your situation  21 years ago. I would never follow a man across country. Unless I had a job their. I could take care of myself financially.

Answer by louise2 at 11:35 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• If he is just now enlisting it will be a long time (maybe a year or two) before he is allowed to live off base without being married. If you get married you will have housing and madical insurance covered from day one. I would not make that move until after the wedding or further in the future when he is able to set up a home for you off-base.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• You need to be married to live together, especially when he is just enlisting.
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 12:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2010