eight month old up twice a night

ok so i know that some babies just don't need alot of sleep but i am wondering if my litttle one is getting up n wanting a bottle cause she gets one to put her to sleep every night n can't fall back asleep with out it n as well she is used to getting calories at night drinking almost two eight ounce bottles a night so my mom said try n start mixinging half water n half formula so she can back doewn on needing calories n sleep better n eventually only give her water by the end of the week at night i think i am ganna give it a chance just curious if any other mamas tried this one n if it worked i can understand getting up once a night at eight months not twice every night n she cries on in off half asleep n falls back into a deep sleep

millerchic

Asked by millerchic at 12:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Instead of mixing it with water I would start making them smaller. If you usually give 8 ounces do 7 ounces for a few days then down to 6 for a few days and so on. Make it gradual. It sounds like she just wants a bottle to go back to sleep with so maybe you can get her completely off of it during the night. At least one of them anyway.
    Anonymous

• It is normal for babies to wake to eat, especially if they are entering into growth spurts. If she doesn't get enough bottles during the day or is too busy exploring and learning new things to eat, she will make up for it at night. Before you cut her calories, be sure she isn't in a growth spurt then encourage her to eat during the day (but don't force it...just a gentle reminder). If she still wakes up and is hungry, feed her. This too shall pass.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I thought the same thing with my son. I tried giving him a bottle of water at night, I didn't even mix it. It turned out he loved the water as much as the formula. It didn't change a thing. He woke up for that bottle until he was 3! Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• if she just wanted it to go back to sleep, then i couldnt see her drinking 16 oz! that is a lot, and in my opinion, i think she is actually hungry. a baby cannot have too many calories. if you find her wanting the bottle, but then falling asleep quickly and not finishing it, then id say just offer her water or a tiny bit of formula in the water.
    Anonymous

• but i think my daughter just drinks to drink she will eat n eat then throw up she does a little at night i think she just get s so full she passes out when i give her a bottle at night even durin the day she would eat everything u gave her then get sick so i don't know if she really is hungry or just wantin the bottle to go back to sleep she eats alot durin the day it's not like she eats only little here n there she eats every meal n the bottles in between n juice n puffs like i said she loves her food
    millerchic

Answer by millerchic at 7:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My 8 month old gets up 3-4 times a night! She's breastfed and I have to nurse her back to sleep each time... might be teething, growth spurt, hunger, etc.....I've decided to just go with the flow and hope it passes! Good luck!!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2010