I want to make a special rosary for a friend...

I know I could google this information but I am lazy and hate to search. I can just come back here in an hour or so and some very lovely ladies might be able to help and be happy to help.

How many beads would I need? What is a good amount of links or space between each bead and the big bead. Is links or cord or string easier? What do you call the medal in the middle? Not the Crucifix but the other one? Does it have to be a religious symbol? Can it be like a dove or a peace sign?What a about a small locket with a picture? When giving a rosary, or any special religious item is it proper to get them blessed first or does the person who receives them have it blessed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• the rosary commonly consists of 5 decades, or sets of 10 beads, for the recitation of the Hail Mary (Ave Maria), separated by a single bead for the recitation of the Our Father (Paternoster, or Lord's Prayer)...59 beads total (5 beads right above the crucifix)...as far as the "string" you use, that depends on you lol...as far as i know about the medal in the middle, ive seen different objects there, from mother mary to a larger bead, so im not sure if it has to be something religious. every rosary my mom has ever been given has be blessed before she has gotten it...by the way im not catholic but learned this when i was younger so i hope its right.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• 59-60 all together.

53 for the Hail Marys
    1 Our Fathers
    5 Our Fathers/ Glory Be
    1 Hail Holy Queen /Glory Be~~ This can be a bead or a symbol of Mary.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• OK so that middle medal does need to be with Mary. Thank you ryansmom.
    Anonymous

• RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I don't know all the answers to you other question but I'll try to answer the|:

What is a good amount of links or space between each bead and the big bead. There is no specific spacing.  The rosary is a tool used in prayer so it should be confortable and the beads should be easy to handle and pass through your fingers.

Is links or cord or string easier?  The bigger the beads the bigger the string or cord should be.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• cont....
    What do you call the medal in the middle? Not the Crucifix but the other one? I don't know if it has a specific name

Does it have to be a religious symbol? No it can also be a bead or a knot

Can it be like a dove or a peace sign? I don't know, I beleive it is really up to the individual.

What a about a small locket with a picture? I don't know

When giving a rosary, or any special religious item is it proper to get them blessed first or does the person who receives them have it blessed? It doesn't have to be blessed, most rosaries aren't blessed.

RyansMom001