why does my 4 week old cries while on the breast?

my 4 week old cries after nursing for abt 7-8 minutes, sometimes even sooner. i dont think my milk is low because often when she cries her mouth and the nipple is full of milk. earlier she cried after the initial let-down has slowed. if i somehow get her to stay on for longer then she gets another 2 letdowns but its tough to keep her latched on. ive tried burping her and then latching her back on but she often still cries. then she wants more milk after a good 20-25 minutes but then cries because obviously the letdown takes a bit longer. she however sleeps quite well and is giving me enough wet and soiled nappies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try hand expressing or pumping a little to get things started if she's impatient and you think its becuase letdown is too slow. Or be proactive and get the baby to the breast before hunger makes her cranky and then she'll be more patient and willing to wait for the let downs without fussing because she's got hunger pangs.

I notice with my baby that if I didn't wait until she was near the red zone of hunger, her suck was much more gentle and she didn't start wailing inconsolably popping on and off the breast in a pissy mood :)

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• try manually starting your let down before she starts--- I'm not promoting instant gratification dont get me wrong just see if it helps-- technically your full supply is not totally in for about 6 more weeks (no I'm not joking)-- so she should be allowed to nurse on demand-- as long and as often as she'd like to-- this is normal bf baby--- also if you have given her "bottles" stop-- wait a few more weeks before anone introduces a bottle of expressed breast milk-- a bottle is way easier to manage then a boob-- most people (big and little) always seek out the path of least resistance-- as long as she's peeing 5 good wet diapers a day and a few poopys a week just keep up your good work
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 12:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Sounds like she may be having a growth spurt just do what you are doing and she will get through it. If she is still cryinga fter...is she still hungry?? gas?? I would not add a bottle at all personally Just feed on demand also be sure to empty the breast(if you use 2 breasts per feeding)...you need to empty the first to get the hind(fatty)milk
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Try getting her to the breast a bit sooner. Watch for the earliest signs of hunger (rooting, putting hands to mouth etc.) Sometimes baby is too hungry/tired and they frustrate easily.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Sounds like a growth spurt to me!
    Anonymous

• thanks so much for the prompt answers.. will try to put her on the breast a bit sooner and am trying to pump out towards the end and i think thats helping too cause she seems to like a full breast.
    she is fully breast fed no bottle at all so far.
    happymum2010

Answer by happymum2010 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 2, 2010