How can I get my two year old to eat a wider variety of food?

My daughter only likes to eat chicken nuggets, mashed potatoes, and sweets. I make her different kinds of things all the time but she won't even try them. I know it is my own fault that that is all she eats, but I really want to change that. I don't want her to be hungry, but I don't want to keep making those things because I fear she will never eat anything else. How can I get her to try more things?

temomma315

Asked by temomma315 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• good luck, i am in the same pattern with my daughter. my doctor said as long as she is eating fruits and other good things like yogurt and oatmeal and drinking milk, not to worry, and it's a phase and to keep trying to offer her different things to taste. It's hard, i know, i was at my witts end, but then the info from my doctor and knowing i am not doing anything wrong helped to ease my frustration.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My dad use to make us sit there until we had at least tried it. Usually resulting in me falling asleep in my food. I have a different trick with my dd. I hate it because it irritates the heck out of me, but it does work. We spoon feed it to her. I hate it because it feels like she is being the biggest baby in the world, and I loathe her for having to do it. But it gets her to try it. And usually, if she does like it, she will take it upon herself to eat the rest of it with out spoon feeding her.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that she/he is drinking water, so she/he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she/ge will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• The best thing is to stop giving her sweet things to eat. Why would she want to eat healthy things if she can have sweets. With my son when i knew he was really hungry and wanted a snack i offered him a whole carrot, or bell peppers (which he usually would never eat) but he did eat it cuz it was offered and he was hungry. He also liked nawing on the wole carrot. just keep offering and tell her "before you get the... you need to take one bite of..." and dont give in. Thjey wont starve themselves, if they really are hungry they will eat!
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 26, 2010