Does it bother you when people show up at your house unannouced?

I don't know if I'm just weird or what but it REALLY bothers me when people show up at my house without calling first. I think it's incredibly rude. I've repeatedly asked my family NOT to do this. I also have friends that will do this and it irritates me to NO END. I don't know how else to get it across to these people that I want to know if someone is coming over or not.

This morning my sister showed up at my house at the butt crack of dawn, unannouced of course, and ended up waking up both of my kids who are now exhausted because they got up to earlier and cranky because they are so tired but they're fighting sleep. I was up until 3 o' clock this morning doing school work and I'm so tired I can barely function.

I literally just want to cry right now.

How do I get it across to these people????
Or am I just freak? Should I just deal with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would stop answering the door. When they ask about it tell them you were sleeping, super busy, whatever and that next time they should call first so you can be prepared. If your husband is home, you could tell them the kids were napping and you were having sex. That might make them stop coming over unannounced.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:59 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yup, drives me crazy. I do not even do it to my mom! I call first to make sure that it is a convenient time...
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 1:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Put a sign on your door "baby sleeping-do NOT disturb". Heck YES it bothers me. My brother decided to "pop" in when I was trying to make supper and wash the dishes. If you can't remember your own nephews' names, why bother? We eat supper every day at 5:00. We don't answer the phone until we are done eating. The neighbor has to knock on our door and ask WHY we didn't answer the phone! GRRRR!!!
    crazycatlady66

Answer by crazycatlady66 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Lol!~The buttcrack of dawn?~I like that;)
    I am sorry,that really sucks. You know what,I hate that too but mostly because my kids are like wild animals and dh and I are not much better. I don't want ppl seeing my house a total wreck. I have asked my family not to come over w/o calling and when I did that,my half sister just completely dumped me and my family! I just told her politely that I ask that everybody would simply just call first. I have not seen hide nor tail for 2 yrs.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 1:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Like crazycatlady said, post a sign that says your kids are sleeping. It does irritate me when this happens, only because my kids are all still small and sometimes the place gets cluttered with toys and such. If someone wants to come over, I would appreciate a heads up so I can tidy up and make the place more comfortable for visitors. Oh and it gives me the chance to put a bra on since I could go all day without one on!
    Anonymous

• Nope... I could careless. Just mean they care and wanted to see me.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I hate that! make it hard for them, don't answer the door, or if you do come to the door tell them you aren't open for company right now and that they'll need to call when they come over.
    Apparently they aren't taking you seriously about the calling. Are you SURE you are actually saying, "don't come over again without calling"or are you hinting around?
    I've got a SIL that gets mad claiming that she had "been perfectly clear" about feelings on something when as far as I know, she'd never said a word! - Same thing happens with others- I wondered for a while why I would get letters from relatives telling me that SIL was shocked by something I did, when she was saying the same thing to me about them!
    I think she gets mixed up as to when she says something to me and when she talks to others about me.

Be firm and be clear- have a hard time believing that people keep doing this if you are truly being clear what you want.
    Anonymous

• I answer the door but don't invite them in, it is incredibly rude and since we are super busy the last thing I need is to entertain unannounced guests.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 1:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i have a huge german shepherd so if someone wants to come to my house unnanounced i will hear the dog barking and i can see the front and the back door from the hall way in which time i will deside whether to answer or not.i might add my dog usually does not bite....the key word being usually i havent put him to the test and when unnanounced people come to the door they do not want to find out(i do have a beware of dog sign on my door)
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Your family is going to pay a lot more attention to your actions than your words. If you let her in you only have yourself to blame. Stop telling them and change your actions. Of course it would also be fun to show up at her place at a time that is inconvenient to her.

Anonymous