Which is the best formula?

I have to start my son on formula because my breast milk dried up. According to the doctor, "these things just happen". I wanted to keep breast feeding him but as I said the breast milk dried up. I want to give him the healthiest formula. Can anyone give me some ideas on what that is?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 1:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How do you know your breastmilk dried up? How old is your baby? How often do you nurse? How is diaper output? Before you stop completely, consult a lactation specialist. Contact your local LLL for face to face help. Also visit   http://www.kellymom.com/ and http://www.drjacknewman.com/

I wouldn't take a doctor's word for it.  What sort of criteria did the doctor use to make that diagnosis?

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:13 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• all formulas meet the same FDA standards (even generic ones)
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i use similac advance early sheild. thats what they used in the NICU when i had my son and thats what i kept using. it says its formulated to be more like breast milk and has DHA.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I agree with amileegirl. Give us more info. Your milk probably hasn't dried up. It can take up to a year of no breastfeeding for most women to dry up.

That being said, all formula's meet FDA standards. So, if your baby doesn't have allergy or digestive issues, then Parent's Choice or Target generic formulas are just as good as the regular Similac or Enfamil.

My breastfed baby self weaned at 10.5 months old and after trying Similac and Enfamil, we settled on Parent's Choice (Walmart's generic). Parent's Choice smells better than the name brands and produces less gas and bubbles when mixed.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:24 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• You can relactate
    Anonymous

• nestle goodstart works really great
    My daughter was breastfed and the others sat to hard on her made her tummy hurt.
    Goodstart is the only one she will take and not spit up
    Anonymous

• If you still want to breastfeed then don't give up. Your milk does not "just dry up" for no reason. Did you start hormonal birth control? That can cause your milk supply to drop. Get some help form La Leche League (it is free). They can help you to figure out why your supply dropped and how to get it back. Also check out Hidden Hinderances to a Healthy Milk Supply

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• The best formula is the one YOUR BABY will take. They're much the same otherwise, so get samples and see what baby will accept. There is no "Best" beyond your infant's preference, unless baby has sensitivities.

As has been mentioned...it is possible to get baby on the breast. A lot of moms think their milk has dried up because they don't pump even a drop...that's the LEAST reliable method judging. I know a woman who exclusively nursed TWINS and couldn't pump a drop. Pump output means NOTHING. Only the dipe count matters. 6-8 changes a day means there's loads of milk.

So...if you want to give it a swing at getting back to the breast, then drop by the breastfeeding moms groups. We've helped MANY moms who wre utterly convinced their milk was gone...they found they couldn't have been more wrong.

Up to you, of course. But formula is much of a muchness. Go with what works.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I use Enfamil Premium its great w/eye, brain, & immune development!
    I do have 2 say 2 all the ladies who say ur breastmilk "don't just dry up" mine did & I also know 2 of my friends who's dried up as well! Not all women r the same! Mine lasted 4 I believe 4 weeks in that was it!!! Good luck!
    Oh, also if ur going 2 be on WIC they will recommend Enfamil!
    KileighsMom

Answer by KileighsMom at 7:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• That's what happened when I had my third, she was two weeks old when mine dried up. I had health issues with two children that forced me to not be able to feed them, and I breastfed two. I have not noticed any difference developmentally nor immune wise between my breastfed and formula fed children. I say this so you don’t beat yourself up over what’s happened and you don’t feel pressured by others. Do what you feel is right for your little one.

As far as brands I used when I did have a formula fed baby; I used Enfamil but I agree with a previous poster if you look at the back of all the formula cans they pretty much say the same things, plus there's more out there now days. I just referred brands that offered a soy base formula in case I ended up having a child that would have problems digesting so if I had to switch them it'd be under the same brand name.

Good luck and congratulations on your little one :-)
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 7:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2010