Why do so many people think that women who have chosen to be SAHMs....

are throwing their lives away? Doing something useless? etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No idea. I once had someone say to me "Didn't you want to do something better with your life?"

It really irked me. I went to college, got married, worked a job, got pregnant, and decided to stay home to raise my daughter.

Personally, I think spending this time raising my child (and any future children we have) is the most worthwhile and BEST thing I could possibly do with my life.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i don't think that.. I wish I could afford to be a sahm.. I miss my kids
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Because they think they are better.
    Just more argueing on here that has no ground
    Anonymous

• I don't think most people do. I think some women believe that, but they are usually the high power execs who pass the raising of their children to daycare and nannies.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 1:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• like my husband says, I am doing the greatest, important and most rewarding job of caring for our daughter. Some people don't have that choice and that is fine. I sometimes feel stuck. I want to do more with my life and careerwise, but it is just not feasible for us right now. Right now my daughters growth and development is job one.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 1:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I don't understand why people think that either. I am a SAHM and I know I'm not throwing my life away. I get to teach my daughter and watch her grow in every way. I don't miss out on her life, and I love it!
    Anonymous

• Because they are guilty about warehousing their children in daycare while they go to work. If they were really secure in the decision they wouldn't care about other mothers staying home and who is or isn't better at their job.
    Anonymous

• I dont think that and dont know anyone that personally does

I feel like EVERYONE plays the victim! Blah blah blah I have to work..blah blah blah tey dont lik me because I dont work....I have no time for such nonsense

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

and if the ones staying home were really happy about it they wouldnt care what others said either

Anonymous

• I think being a SAHM is fine for some ppl. For others, not so much. I know ppl on both sides, and many of the SAHMs are miserable, especially as the kids get older and are in school and activities. Personally, I have my BS degree, in a demand field, that pays well, offers full HC benefits, and most IMPORTANT OF ALL, part time, flexible hours. Why would I choose to stay at home FT when I can help others, use my skill and education and financially help my family? My kids were not raised in daycare as I worked off hours, and every other weekend. My job has never involved travel or bringing work home. Again, you do your thing, I'll do mine. Personally, I hate the poor us, middle class, look at what those on PA get. Blah, blah, -maybe some women NEED seek employment-no one guaranteed every child will have a mommy or daddy at home FT-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2010