Water Breaking

I'm 38 weeks and 1 day along with my first baby girl. I'm 1cm dilated, 40% effeaced and +1 stationed. What are the chances my water will break at home? Can you tell? I'm sure it's probably hard to know, but figured I would ask anyway :-) I'm so excited I can barely wait any longer!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• sorry, no way to know
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Water only breaks before active labor for a very small % of women. Most likely it will probably not break until you are well into active or transition labor. No way to tell when it will happen, even if you've had other babies it can be different each time.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i agree with PP, most women's water breaks well into active labor. so that could be at home if you choose to labor at home for a good while. i think it's something like 20% of women who have their water break before active labor though so i wouldn't really say that's a small percent, but definitely less likely. my water did happen to break at home in the shower, after about 12 hours of crampiness, then active labor began w/in a couple hours. i was 41 weeks pregnant though
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I agree about it not being too likely.
    Usually, women will be in labor, well into it even, when the bag ruptures.

I had it break over a week before labor started with one baby.
    And as the baby was already coming out with another.

It never *has* to break, either. Babies are also born in the intact sac.

Consistent & frequent contractions are a more reliable way to determine if you're laboring. ;-)

Good luck!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• lets see. my first a gitl i was 38 wks 4 cm and 75% effaced and my water was broken by dcotor after 6 hrs of labor
    second 37 wks 3 cm 50% effaced, water brike at home at 5 am. i dint get any contactions till 11 am when the doctor gave me pitocin
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2010