50th birthday cake idea help

Okay i am in charge of making my mother-in-laws birthday cake for her surprise 50th birthday on March 14th. I need som help/ideas on what to do for the cake. I want to make it with fondant but I don't know what to do for decotations, etc. What would be a good recipe for the actual cake. I want it to be three cakes one on top of the other (3 differet sizes) but if anyone else has any other good ideas I will take any help. Thanks!

mommyjones

Asked by mommyjones at 1:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• could make it coffin shaped, with a couple of rolled fondant nails on the side- you know, you still have a few to go before you knock off... OK, NOT a good idea, but funny...

google "working with rolled fondant" the cake recipe... it'll take a minute to find.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Make the theme something she really loves, like Elvis, shoes, jewelry, etc... Whatever she's into, then decorate it with that.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Now this is real cute.   

Red Hate Society.  Other ideas are here.

Anonymous

• The best cake recipe is a 1-2-3-4 cake. You can easily customize it.

1 cup milk
    1 cup butter
    2 cups sugar
    3 cups flour
    4 eggs

whip butter with sugar, whip in eggs, whip in flour and milk-- baking powder and salt-- then flavor: vanilla, cocoa, lemon zest, almond extract... you get the idea

I use this basic recipe for carrot cake, yellow cake, lemon poppy seed cake-- everything really.

I like fillings between the layers: lemon curd, raspberry preserves, nuts whipped with cream cheese and honey, coconut cream, pastry cream...

You could do a lemon poppy seed cake in the shape of a lemon, a yellow cake with banana cream in the shape of a banana, and a chocolate cake with strawberry cream-cheese frosting strawberry shaped-- the quote: You've ripened so beautifully!

Visual puns!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2010