Sending my pup to dog kennels when I'm away from home for 2 weeks?

Hi, I have 5 months old female Siberian Husky.

My whole family will be gone overseas(Asia) for about 2 weeks and I don't know what to do with my pup.

I cannot take her to the airplane since she's not fully vaccinated and I don't want to to go through an overnight flight that's going to stress her out big time.

My family's just moved here in CO, so there's really nobody we know.
I've heard of a dog sitter, but I'm really reluctant to use someone that I've never known in my life and give her the key to my house and have her come and take care of my dog in my house when I'm not there.

So I was thinking maybe I should send my pup to dog kennels.
The only problem is the money.
I'm sure it will be so expensive...for 2 weeks!!

I'd like to read some experiences with dog kennels that you guys have experienced. Oh also the price range for about 2 weeks.

Thank you a lot!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Pets

• We have a Husky, whomever you send her to please make them aware that they have to be on a lead when going outside, or she will be gone in a heartbeat. Also if you take her to a kennel, she will need all of her shots, and the one for kennel cough. That's a must! Call your vet and ask if they can keep her, they will give her shots and you won't have all of the worries coming home to a sick dog.. GL If you're in MO, I would keep her for the 2 weeks, I know what it's like to need a puppy sitter you can trust....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• It was a really long time ago that we sent our beagle (my parents dog, but I was young and still lived at home). I can't remember the price, but again, it was a long time ago, so I am sure it is way off of what it is today. Just please make sure you research the kennel first. We had such a horrible experience with the one we sent him too. They left him in the cage 24/7 and the only time he had any human companionship was when they fed him, but it was only for the amount of time it took to put food in the cage. They even kept a muzzle on him the entire time except when they fed him. If we would have known this before hand, we wouldn't have sent him there, but everyone had such high remarks about this place. I am almost afraid to ever send my dogs to a kennel again. SO just please be careful!
    Anonymous

• It all depends on where you go! We took our dog to one place where he was able to play with other dogs all day long and had a great big cage for him. However, when we picked him up he was just so exhausted! He's a 100 lb black lab and he couldn't even keep his eyes open. I felt so bad.

We also took him to another place where he seems to like, but I'm not sure how much time he gets outside.

Now we're taking him to a place where you can watch him over the Internet. It's like $30 a day but definitely worth it! We can watch him whenever we want!

the other places I went were like $12 a day and $15 a day.

I would ask around and look for reviews online. Do a lot of research before deciding which one.
    Anonymous

• I am no expert, but I would surmise that if you can afford to go to Asia, you can afford to board your dog (unless the trip was all expenses paid).

Google boarding kennels in your area. Call them, make appointments to see them and figure out if you like it or not.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 3:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I work at a kennel and yes, its expensive but if its a good kennel, its worth the price. The cost to run one of these places is very very high. I work at one of the finest facilities in my state so our standard of cleanliness, care and attention to detail is very high. Make sure you go for a tour of the kennel before boarding. Here are some questions. Do they offer playtimes? Do they make full males have private playtime? Are the playtimes divided up between the big dogs and little dogs? What cleaning products do they use? What is their daily schedule (feeding times, play times. Dogs thrive on schedules and in 2 weeks time they will know when everything is going to happen during their days)? Do they provide kennel decks, blankets, beds, etc. Do you need to bring your own food or do they provide it? How often do they clean the kennels (we clean every single kennel everday)? Bring updated vaccination records.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 5:04 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• We board our two girls about once a year. One of my girls is pretty active so I like a place that has a good amount of play time in a secure area. The place we use now has three 20 minute play times each day. I like to bring my own food because it reduces the chances of an upset stomach due to changing foods. I bought two travel beds (they are like sleeping bags just without an opening) that I use when they go and then I also take one blanket from each of their crates and then a couple of small toys that I don't care if they get returned or not. One of my girls doesn't eat her meals when she is kenneled, when we travel with the dogs, or when we have company. She is sensitive I guess. She will eat treats, though, so I always send treats along with or she ends up looking emaciated when we get home. I also tour the kennel before I decide on letting them stay.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:43 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I am a Registered Vet Tech. Make sure that you can tour the place before you drop off your dog. Make sure that you just pop in don't make an appt. You want to see the condition the kennel is in. If they don't let you then the kennel is dirty. Ask all questions about feeding time, when and where they go to the bathroom. Warning if your dog has never been to the kennel be prepared for your dog to possibly have loose stool and weight loss due to not eating. Dogs will sense you have left them so sometimes they go into depression mode. Good Luck!

Danielle
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 9:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• To add, do your tour early (while or before the kennel techs start cleaning) and take note of how it smells. If it smells horrible, then its not a very clean place. Our clients always comment on how our facility smells so clean and good, even in the morning before we start cleaning. You shouldnt be smelling stool, especially in the office.
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Do some searching. Talk to your veterinarian (ddsunshine already gave great advice).

My favorite place I've ever boarded my dog is actually a family-owned business, situated out in the country. They board horses (about 30 horses) and have half of one barn reserved for boarding dogs. It was perfect for my golden retriever, because she got her own huge horse stall to sleep in at night and got to run around free in pastures during the day. The fee was fair and affordable, she got lots of fresh air, and I supplied her food so no stool problems.

I don't know if there's anything like that in your area, but do some searching. Absolutely avoid any place where you have to pay an additional fee to have your dog walked.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 11:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Most dog kennels that are reputable will not allow an animal in that does not have proof of all the vaccinations required. Most require the kennel shot, as it is nicknamed.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 10:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2010