8 month old baby fell behind

Hi,

My 8 month old today fell behind while he was sitting and playing with toys. His rear part of head hit the hard floor and he was in a shock. When I took him immediately in my arms, his eyes started closing (like he was going unconscious). I was completely frightened and shocked seeing that and started running to my neighbour's house. Within seconds he opened his eyes and was seeing all of us with a curious expression - like whats happening here. He even smiled and then had some milk. My peadeatrician told me not to worry, but I am still worried. Please share your experiences and suggestions for me. Its 11 PM India time and I cannot sleep tonight until I am fully convinced my baby is normal.

Thanks....Kalpana

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies fall and smack their heads all the time. Mine fell down the stairs, another fell out of his high chair, another fell out of HIS high chair -- they've all had one good head smack during infancy. I always freak out and run to the doctor, who reassures me that babies are sturdy and built for getting knocked over since they are so wobbly in these early years. If his pupils dilated with a flashlight, he did not fall asleep 1 hour after knocking his head, and did not throw up, he is fine. Any of those 3 indicators may mean a slight concussion.
    Anonymous

• Just keep an eye on the baby. If he seems to have any other symptoms, I'd take him to the ER but it sounds like he was just stunned for a minute.

Babies are really resilient.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 5:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Just wait until he crawls and trys to start pulling up or walking . Babys hit their heads this is normal. as long as the doctor says he is fine then he is fine
    Newmommys101

Answer by Newmommys101 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2010