Toenails Bending Downward

My daughter's toenails have always grown in a weird way. They don't grow OUT, but grow DOWN. If I let them grow, I'm sure they'd end up curving completely around the tip of the toes and around to the bottom. And they grow in a way that when they do get a little long and start to bend down, they are pressing against her toe tip to where when I do cut, there's an indent where the nail was.

I read in Reader's Digest yesterday that fingernails that grow bending downward can mean hung or heart problems. She has her annual wellness check-up on Thursday and I plan to bring this up to the doctor (she turns 4 tomorrow), but in the meantime...has anyone come across something like this? And did it mean anything?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 2:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Took DD to her doctor appointment today and asked him about it. He said there is nothing to be concerned about. Gotta say I'm happy about that!!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My grandma and my son's do that. He has no known lung/ heart issues, but, she had breathing issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:17 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• my toenails have always done that- I do have asthma, but that's it and it's not a bad case.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My fingernails do that and my youngest's toenails do it too.We don't have any heart conditions that we know of.Nor do we have asthma or anything like that.Hope you find out something.
    kristylynn

Answer by kristylynn at 3:10 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Does she run around a lot in her bare feet? If so, that can cause the toenails to grow downward to help protect the tips of the toes from injury.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2010