Questions to ask a dog breeder

The pets I have are animals that I have rescued, but I have always wanted a pure breed yorkie. I found a breeder in my area, and am going to meet the puppies in a few days to pick one out, but I have no idea what to ask or look for since I have only had rescues. What should I look for or ask the breeder?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Pets

• Ask for OFA certification papers to check the hearts, hips and eyes of the parent dogs. Ask to see the AKC papers on both parents. Ask if the puppies will be around children and other small animals. Ask for a contact for a satisfied customer. Ask to see the whelping area and play areas for the puppies. Ask what food they feed, who their vet is and if they worm and give the first set of shots before allowing the pups into homes. If they don't have any of the abovementioned paperwork, do not buy from them. If they won't tell you who their vet is, don't buy from them. If they look at you like you're crazy when you ask about the shots, don't buy from them. The kids and other small animals thing isn't a dealbreaker; you just need to be aware of what you'll need to expose the puppy to.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 2:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Are the puppies registered under pure breed, are shots up to date, what are parents temperments, depending on age ask if pups have been dewormed and if they are not then do not pay hefty price for it!!! Good luck!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Thanks for asking this. Most people wouldn't even think of it.

Things to ask would include, are your dog's registered? (this does matter, don't let anyone say it doesn't) Do her dogs have titles on them (meaning, does she show them, are they champion dogs). Does she do any health checks. Do you have references I can contact? May I can your vet as well? Ask her if she has wormed the puppies (most reputable breeders worm three times, 2 4 and 6 weeks). Ask if the puppies have their first shots. Also remember to ask if they have a microchip or a tatoo.

con't
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 3:20 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• What to look for can include where the puppies live. Are they indoors or stuck outside in kennels. Does she breed more than twice a year (anything more is considered a backyard breeder or puppy miller). Are the pups happy and clean. Make sure their bum area is clean, their tummies aren't rounded, they aren't skinny, their eyes are clear and shiny. Rounded tummies means the puppies might be wormy. Make sure you see the parents and they look well cared for, no mats, shiny coats. If the lady has the pups outside in kennels, or there is an odor, or if the pups don't look well cared for, thank her for her time, and leave. It won't be easy, but its worth it to not get a puppy from a miller....once you leave, report her to the ASPCA.

Good Luck
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 3:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2010