I think my DD has the chickenpox.. how long do I need to keep her away from other kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that when the blisters are all scabbed over that she will no longer be contagious.

Answer by Bmat at 2:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• When all of the blisters are scabbed over, she will no longer be contagious. There is an incubation period of 14-17 days though, so anyone she was around during that period, could have caught it also.
    Anonymous

• "HOW LONG IS MY CHILD CONTAGIOUS?

Your child is contagious starting the day before fever or spots appear, until 24 hours after all the blisters have crusted over. This usually takes about 7 days from beginning to end. "
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T083400.asp
    so 24 hours after all of the blisters are crusted over.

Answer by Bmat at 2:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• they should get the chicken pox too, when i was little i purposely exposed so that i would get them (i think that's before they had the vaccine) and i got them and now i don't have to worry about a kid getting them. my son played with another child that had them (BAD) and only broke out a little bit with no fussiness since he got the vaccine when he was little. he got like a few pocks on his legs and they went away in a couple of days, he never acted sick or had a fever. my SO's father NEVER got the chicken pox as a child and got it as an adult and it turned into painful shingles. he had to miss work for two weeks bc of the pain, he said he wished he had had it as a child.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2010