Am I the only one that struggles with not blaming a whole religious sect for ONE person's misrepresentation?

I have a REAL problem with JWs...and only ONE JW has really offended me...Claimed to be JW-but I'd rather not get into the details. I understand everyone makes mistakes, but when one has been really hurt because of someone else's vindictiveness, it's difficult to disassociate an entire sect from that one person.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I struggle with it, but I am also secure in my faith(not insinuating that you are not) that I am not sure it would matter if I was rubbed the wrong way or not.
    Anonymous

• OP here-That's just it! I am a Christian, and I've been offended by other Christians-but that hasn't made me lose my faith! Muslim extremists have offended our entire NATION among other nations-and my BEST FRIEND is Muslim! We've been friends for 16 YEARS, and I can't immagine my life without her! The JW has NOT made me lose my faith!!! If anything, she pushed me closer to God-and made me and my fiance closer to one another...so WHY can't I get past this? I KNOW me and God still have a WHOLE lot of things to work on!
    Anonymous

• i don't blame the whole religion for one persons misrepresentation..

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I have been in a similar-ish situation. I was brutally raped at knife point by a black man for 11 hours when I was 14. I didn't blame all black men, but I was scared of them. Scared sounds like an understatement. My heart would beat out of my chest and pound in my ears. My body would break out sweating, I would feel like I couldn't breath while I shook like a leaf.

I had to fight hard for years to come to grips with what I experienced.

Do you really feel like you have a good reason for holding a grudge? No offense, but your complaint sounds petty.

Anonymous

• Sadly, if we can attach an identity label to someone who has seriously wounded us in some way, fix them with an obvious group of people [and I'm distressed hearing for you this is Jehovah's Witnesses, being one myself!] we only naturally become suspicious of the wider group I think.
    JoojooJW

Answer by JoojooJW at 3:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• try not to let her get to you, i'm a JW and there are a couple of bad apples in every bunch. JW's are not perfect as we are human and we never claim to be, but dont let it get to you. My dad is Catholic and he beat me every chance he could growing up and also verbally, emotionally and mentally abused me. I was sexually attacked by a catholic guy in the church rectory that he was working at, while the priest was upstairs writing his homily, but i've forgiven them and never hate catholics just because of those two people.
    Anonymous

• Anon 08...The chick tried VERY hard to come between me and my husband, knowing FULL well that he and I were trying to work things out. I don't feel it's all that petty. BTW, I'm so sorry for what happened to you. I'm white, and I feel about some hispanic and white men as you DID feel because of some stuff that happened to me when I was younger.
    Anonymous

• If I blamed a whole religious sect for the bad actions of one or two I would miss out on the several wonderful friendships I have with people. Not to mention alienating my entire family if I felt that way. I know there are people we interact who can leave a bad taste in our mouth, so to speak, but if we use that as a reson to build walls we are only hurting ourselves.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i have done that---and it really depends in my opinion on the type or hurt, offense, and what ranking they may have so to speak--being hurt by a pastor, does lean me away from religion---being bashed by a specific religious sect does lean me away from them--1, or more person---so i do understand where you are coming from.
    Anonymous

• No, unfortunately it's an epidemic in this country... Millions of people think like that. They assume that because one person claims to belong to a religion and does something wrong that the entire religion is tainted... Which is just flawed thinking. We have seen this over and over again. After 9/11 Muslims were being attacked all over the US. After the raid on that FLDS ranch Mormons were getting the brunt of it. When it hit the news about those Catholic Priests "touching" boys, it was the Catholics that paid. The list goes on and on... The point is the actions of ONE person reflect ONE PERSON, it should be the actions of the group as a whole that reflect on the GROUP! But sadly, it rarely is!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:46 PM on Feb. 1, 2010