A Low-Carb, Vegetarian Diet... while pregnant?

My husband has a pregnant co-worker who is a vegetarian. She has developed gestational diabetes. While there is plenty of information about low-carb, vegetarian diets that are available, can anyone here provide any personal experience or insight as to what changes would need to be made for a pregnant woman?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I know of babyfit.com, which is a free weight management and nutritional information website for pregnant and nursing mothers(and those TTC). It's a sister site to sparkpeople.com. That may be a good place for her to get started?
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 2:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• look up Blue Ribbion Baby Diet/ Brewer Diet. They have guide lines that fit reg diet, veg, or even vegan. The checklists can be a big help that u find on the site.
    Anonymous

• It is going to depend largely on how her body responds to the diabetes. I've had gestational diabetes with 3 of my pregnancies and for me, I found that I could eat pretty much anything later in the day (things that they told me I would never be able to fit into my diet and still fall within my sugars), but had to really watch it closely in the mornings. I'm not a vegetarian and would have had a hard time since a lot of the carbs I would normally eat I replaced with meats, because I couldn't eat fruits in the mornings either. If you can't have bread, can't have meat, and can't have fruit for breakfast - what do you eat? lol Veggies, for breakfast?! I wish her luck, it's only for a few short months after all!

Answer by missanc at 3:45 PM on Feb. 1, 2010