I have a quick question

Why is it that doctors don't check for dilation unless you ask? Does anyone know?
All my doctor does is take my weight,blood pressure,measure my tummy, and checks heart beat and thats it, He checked me once at 35 weeks and 5 days, cause i had been having alot of contractions so he wanted to check. But since then he doenst.

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it really isn't necessary since contractions can begin at any time and it could introduce bacteria/germs
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My Dr. started checking at 36 weeks and continue to check at my weekly appt. Good Luck
    vowens82

Answer by vowens82 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• It doesn't really give them much useful information. A woman can walk around several centimeters dilated for weeks before delivery, or have no cervical changes at all until active labor begins.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Every dr is different. Mine checks at 36 weeks and then every week til I deliver

Anonymous

• My doctor never checked, theres a risk of infection... and it's really not necessary.
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• a good doctor wouldn't check unless absolutely necessary because of what amanda said. why risk infection? and all it does is get you all anxious and makes you think you are about to have your baby when really you have weeks to go ;) so in sum

1.useless
    2.risky
    3.makes mom anxious for no reason
    Anonymous

• i think it is great that your dr. is letting your body be, so it can take care of your baby!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2010