Anemia in a breastfed baby

My son's dr is soooo concerned that my 8 month old is going to be anemic if I don't start forcing him to eat meat. She wanted me to start solids at 4 months because "your breastmilk isn't good enough and doesn't have enough iron" I ignored her. He has had very little solids by his choice. I'm wanting to do BLW with him. Anyway, he had his levels checked at 6 months (standard protocol at our clinic) and he was on the lower end of the spectrum but was NOT anemic. I myself do not eat alot of meat (never have, I just don't like it) and I have never been and am not anemic. As long as I am not anemic my son is not either right? I'm not sure where I'm going with this, I guess I want reassurance that it's OK if my baby is still pretty much EBF at 8 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is he at a healthy weight? If he's small for his age maybe some solids would be good for him.
    Anonymous

• You need a new doctor, geez..... Your baby is/should be fine. He does NOT need meat. My son was always borderline anemic when he was little...but, only if they pricked his finger to test. And he ate meat, iron enriched formula, and high iron cereals. He also drank oj. I argued with the WIC lady that he was not anemic and didn't need all the beans and could have Peanut butter. But, she didn't believe me, so, she had me go get his blood taken from his arm and put in a spinner...before they even did it, the doc said, I can look at him and see that he is fine. The test proved me right, his was in the upper end of the scale.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:26 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Babies also do not need food before age 1......especially EBF babies. It is only for practice anyway. He doesn't have to have any solids. He can also get iron from other foods.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• OP here- My son was born at 7 lbs. 10 oz. he is now 20 lbs at 8 months. So his weight is good. I know I need a new doc but unfortunately she is the only one he can see around here. I don't live in a place with much of a choice.
    Anonymous

• You are fine mama. Your body will make whatever your baby needs. I would suggest continuing to take prenatal vitamins, which I am sure that you already know. They have iron in them. Breastmilk contains the PERFECT amount of nutrients for your baby and honestly, that is all your baby needs until a year or later. You do not need to introduce solids until then unless you want to. It wont hurt a thing. If you are concerned, you may want to find a doctor who is more pro breastfeeding. Sounds like your doctor is either not well educated or is one of those doctors who thinks that there is a medication for everythng and that everything can be made in an unnatural way and it is ok. Keep with the breastfeeding mama, you are doing great.
    funlovinmama82

Answer by funlovinmama82 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Just ignore her and do exactly as you have been. Very good for you momma....:)
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Thanks mommas! It's nice to hear I'm doing good. That's not something I hear a lot of
    Anonymous

• NEW DR , ASAP
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Join the Breastfeeding Mom's group. If you ever need support / encouragement then they will be there for ya!

You are doing GREAT. There is absolutely no reason what-so-ever to hard push solids on an EBF baby. If he doesn't want it, he doesn't want it. I almost wish my son was like that and wanted more real nursing sessions, he gobbles down anything and everything I put in front of him (solids) often treats me like a sippy cup that he just crawls up to and takes a sip and runs off again. ;) If he were severely anemic I can see pushing meat and/or high iron vegetables like squash - but in a baby that's normal I see no reason what-so-ever to do that. And even if baby were anemic I'd try to make sure "I" was getting plenty of iron first - since iron in BM is easier to absorb than the iron in food.

And if he weren't gaining weight well, MORE BM is better than more solids anyway. BM has more calories, protein & fat.
    Anonymous

• "The researchers found no cases of anemia within the first year in babies breastfed exclusively for seven months and concluded that breastfeeding exclusively for seven months reduces the risk of anemia."

Check out the rest of the article http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html#uncommon.

You are doing perfect!! Your doctor on the other hand could use the information in the kellymom article. Perhaps print it off and bring it with you the next time you go.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 5:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2010