what is causing my 9 day old baby to have one eye runnung yellow stuff? does anyone know what it is?

should i call the doctor or should i just wait to see if it get better.. its been like that for two days now.

graciause

Asked by graciause at 3:27 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, call the doctor. They can get you some eye stuff. That happened to mine at 7 days old. Something about passing through the birth canal. Just take the baby asap
    Anonymous

• sounds like a clogged tear duct. You can massage the corner of the eyes to help with it. . .& apply a warm compress ( i use a washrag with lukewarm water) if you breastfeed you can put breastmilk on it. It can lead to an infection so you might want to call your doctor. Caleb had a lot of those when he was young
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 3:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• It might be a blocked tear duct, very common in newborns. If that's what it is, the dr will tell you to just keep it clean, wipe it using a warm washcloth, from outside in. They usually clear up on their own before their 1st bday, if they don't eventually the dr will perform a small operation to unblock it. It's a little bit of a pain having to wipe it all the time when they are little - my 4th had one.

Answer by missanc at 3:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I agree, clogged tear duct. Use a warm wash cloth.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 3:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• yes clogged tear duct my baby had it in both eyes and they are finally gone shes now 3 months...they are a pain but nothing to worry about unless her white of her eye becomes red id have that checked out never happened to her but doc said if it does call them!
    douellette

Answer by douellette at 5:03 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yep, clogged tear duct, my 1 and a half month old has it as well. You can massage it like already mentioned....I wipe it away with a clean wash cloth
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:15 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i had one baby with a clogged duct. i massaged it, the ooze went away in a week i think. i looked online for directions to massage. i used breastmilk in the eye too, but i think the massage worked.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• My second child had a blocked duct. I waited till he was a year to see if it would fix itself (they usually do), but it didn't. He had to have it surgically repaired. No big deal, it wasn't a long procedure and he never had another problem.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 10:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2010