Is this normal practice?

Ex-AK Gov. Sarah Palin's (R) PAC spent more money buying copies of Palin's best-selling book than it gave in contributions to political candidates, according to new FEC reports.

The papers filed over the weekend show SarahPAC spent $47,777 on copies of "Going Rogue" during the last 6 months of the year. Meanwhile, she handed out just $43K in donations to candidates seeking federal office.

The PAC bought the books from HarperCollins, Palin's publisher. The FEC reports show Palin has been purchasing the book to send to donors, some of whom got a copy after contributing a certain amount to the PAC.

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2010/02/palin_pac_spent.php

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Which is why I don't donate to PACs. If you think Palin is the only one doing this kind of thing, then you are really blind.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• What is the problem?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I guess that's one way to have a bestselling book--use your PAC and buy hundreds of copies yourself.
    Anonymous

• AngelDawn7 , why did you throw that last comment in? I was asking if it were common practice I am not blind and I dont thing Sarah Palin is the only offender

I am asking if it is ethical and is it common
    Anonymous

• Well at least we know now who bought all her books ;) Anyway..Is it ethical? Its a PAC, ethics aren't always the most important consideration for some PACs. As for it being a common practice? I've never heard of a Politician's PAC buying up all their books.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 4:22 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I don't know and don't really care. Not sure what the point here is and why you used palin as an example. Couldn't you do your own research. You must have researched this. Or is it that you are just a Palin hater and want to stir up trouble?
    Yeah I thought so.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• $40,000 doesn't really buy that many books. I would rather a politician give someone a book than a $25 million dollar contract as a "thank you." Besides, it is a PAC for her benefit. I don't understand the complaint.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• SRiver: As for it being a common practice? I've never heard of a Politician's PAC buying up all their books.

They spent $47,777 on copies of "Going Rogue". Ok let's do a little simple math. If a copy of the book retails for $28.99 and the PAC spent $47,777. HOW many copies did they buy?  ANSWER: Roughly 1592.

Now, in Palin's FIRST week, she sold 700,000 copies.  So, would you say it is an accurate assumption to say the PAC is "buying up all their books"? lol

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Check out this practice: http://www.texasrainmaker.com/2009/02/13/borders-bookstore-in-dallas-praises-saint-obama/
    Anonymous

• What I don't like about this story is I feel it isn't well thought out. There is no note if this is legal or not. Or if it is in some strange "gray" area. Plus, I'd think if the situation was somewhat different we'd be talking about "what a great idea" it was.

Here is just one example. Lets say Al Gore sets-up a PAC to help candidates get elected that have strong environmental policies/records. Hard to argue with that. You send his PAC $500. A few days later a package arrives and it includes a signed copy of The Assault on Reason, a DVD of An Inconvenient Truth, a little binder that shows how you can get involved on the local level, with a letter asking for future financial support.

Would any of us get upset about that? I bet we wouldn't. I just don't like double standards. I think we have one here.

THIS.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2010